1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Confused, tech knowledge needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4D1, 25 Dec 2010.

1. 4D1

4D1 What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I intend to build a high spec PC over a period of time, I have bought:

Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
    6G 3 x 2G Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz RAM
    Intel i7 950 CPU

for now...

I had intended to buy all the parts before assembling it, but in the end I was too impatient, I have used and old case I had lying around and a 600W PSU from an old PC. My issue is according CPU-Z and some software that came with the motherboard the RAM is running @ 600ish Mhz, when my motherboard supports 1866Mhz unclocked and the CPU must support more than 600ish Mhz... Anyone know why this is, as it stands the new parts are no better than what I had before...Just alot more expensive, any idea how I can things running as they should???

2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I don't know anything about Asus MB but you will have to go in to the BIOS and manually set the RAM speed. I know that I had to on my EVGA Board.

3. d3m0n_edge

d3m0n_edge Lost Is Your Soul

With RAM featuring XMP, they'll also have a profile where they'll be able to run at a lower speed and voltage, so that you can boot up into the bios or Windows and make your changes. 1066MHz at 1.5v I'm assuming. Either load up the XMP or you'll have to manually overclock your CPU to get the memory running at its specification of 2000MHz. I had to, and only just managed to get things stable.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Remember that 600ishMHz frequency doubled (DDR) is 1200ishMHz data rate