1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DDoS attack takes EVE offline

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jun 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

"CCP allows in-game profits to be translated to real-world cash and vice-versa, giving the game a serious competitive edge where fortunes can be made and lost."

Actually taking money out of EVE was not during my 6-7 years of play, ebaying or other sale of ingame assets was explicitly not allowed, unless something has changed recently, and I don't believe it has this statement is inaccurate.

You can sell ingame assets for ingame cash, including gametime & characters but there is no legitimate way of turning ingame assets into $.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My understanding was that it was possible to convert in-game currency into game time codes, and then sell the game time codes on - and it was through this mechanism CCP's rules against real-money trading (in the game-world-to-real-world direction) were circumvented. Is that not the case? (I don't play EVE, so it's entirely possible I've misunderstood how it all works.)

4. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Not that way around. You can buy a time-code for cash, and then sell it to a player for ISK (in-game currency). You cannot sell time-codes for real money, not legitimately.

5. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

This is correct, although it can only be done through CCP controlled services for "user safety" and sales through places such as eBay are strictly forbidden.

6. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

buy a time code, sell it for in-game cash, buy a character from bazzar and then sell it on for real money.

Its easy to make money out of eve. I've sold around 15 characters and made some very quick money.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Ah, there we go - I knew it involved time codes, but just not the precise details. Thanks for the information!

8. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Pretty sure selling characters for money is not allowed within the game rules. If it is, I'll sell mine right now lol, pretty sure its got about 25,000,000 SPs. :D

9. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

This is however against the EULA.

You're only allowed to sell characters for in game cash, although I'm sure there is a grey market for such things, its not officially allowed. (I have an 90 million, 75 million and 50 million characters I'd sell for a return on all the time I spent in game if this was allowed)

http://community.eveonline.com/support/knowledge-base/article.aspx?articleId=66

You are only allowed to sell characters, not accounts, and you're only allowed to sell characters for ISK.

There is no way to move $ out of EVE.

You can buy timecodes, and sell them for ISK within the supported mechanisms. Basically you're buying time from CCP, so someone is paying for the subscription time, you can then resell that for ISK, but theres not a way of reversing this process legally. You don't actually even see the timecode when you're buying one, its just applied to your account. This is how I paid for my accounts for a couple of years, just with in game ISK. But someone somewhere paid CCP for that game time, and they got ISK out of the deal.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
  10. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Although it may not seem that money can be "earned" from in game isk or time cards, it is still "earned" as if you buy a time card for isk in game this is effectively paying for your subscription for the period so you still have more real world money than if you had paid out for the subscription without using in game isk for a time card.

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

You can sell time codes legally for cash, there's even part of the EvE forums dedicated to it, it's PLEX they don't like you selling for cash.
    PLEX essentially being 1 months worth of accounts subs and Game Time Codes being 2 PLEX's.
    PLEX can be brought in game and redeemed into your character account, if you have 2 or more PLEX in your account redeem system that can then be redeemed into a Game Time Code, which can be sold in the TIme Code Bazaar.
    https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=276

12. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

There is no way to make real money from in-game assets from EvE Online. (edit - at least not legally anyway) I suggest if you want the official line you could always ask CCP themselves, but that article comment is pretty much not something from the game at all.....and please perhaps you could change it?

If you have done this, you have done so illegally, and if they were to find you they would ban your accounts and would attempt to bring charges to you if they could. Selling any item of EvE inc characters/accounts is illegal and against the EULA. Many people have been found out, and many banned. People however, will try and see what they get away with. Any account or items bought with real money will get both seller and buyer banned, and both accounts deleted. (Such a thing NEVER happens unless you are a bad boy that violates CCP's EULA). :nono:

You cannot sell time codes legally for real cash unless you are an official timecode reseller, and once bought it can only be re-sold for in-game isk. On the forums, you can only sell timecodes for in-game isk after purchasing one yourself. PLEX (half of a timecode) can only be traded or sold in-game and not on forums. This is how CCP makes it legal to 'buy' in-game money by allowing players to trade a timecode to sell on the market either via forums or in-game, as opposed to adding more gametime to their subscription. You are not buying the in-game money from CCP. You are selling your timecode on auction or in-game as PLEX on the competitive market, which allows other players who earn a lot of in-game money to add more game time to their account without having to use actual cash. In this way, if you know how to earn a lot of in-game money, you can effectively play EvE at no cost to yourself. CCP is getting their subscription money thanks to the player who bought the timecode in the first place. What that timecode is then used for is entirely up to the player who bought it - either extend their gametime, re-sell it for ingame money, or use it in a trade for other items. There is no way of reversing the process and selling it for real cash, and CCP has cracked down on the many numerous ways that people have tried to circumvent this.

The confusion arises because a lot of 'events' in EvE are sometimes ranked by 'real-world' loss. As PLEX/timecodes can be sold for in-game money, and PLEX/timecodes cost a specific real cash amount.

Big losses or wars or spoils in-game are converted into what the 'real cash' sum would be, albeit it can't be sold for real cash. It gives an approximate value of loss in damages after a big war for instance - hence by providing further immersion and a 'likeness' to real life, pretty much like so much of EvE, and another way of epeen and bragging.

It definitely does provide that furthering of competitiveness into the game, but its also where you get the euphoric adrenaline-rushed epic delight when you realise you've just blown up a £2000 ship into smithereens, and there's no 'respawn' button!! MUHAHAHAHAH!!! :rock:

Last edited: 4 Jun 2013