1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Defcon 15 News Roundup

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 7 Aug 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

How about that video where the undercover reporter was cuaght.

3. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

I read about that undercover reporter... apparently she was chased out of the building by ~150 defcon attendees wanting to take her picture!
    She must be incredibly embarrassed.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

By the sounds of the end of the video, they're going to screw her life up

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

One hopes the stupid cow's career is ended by this. What she did is exactly the sort of highly scummy activity that makes people hate reporters and the media. It was underhand and simply rude.

edit: And yeah, hopefully they do the basics like calling her for a few weeks, screwing with her work and personal email/phone/sms stuff, any accounts she has on any social networks, as much as they can. The more they **** with her the better as far as I'm concerned. She (and her company) should be punished severely for what they did.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I agree with some of Datelines work, well, one piece, the paedophile traps. But they got them help and off the streets.

7. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I won't say that it serves her right, but she should have known better. Defcon has the famous "Spot the Fed" game that they partake in every year (it's all fun and games and even the feds enjoy it) and it's hit the mainstream media once or twice before. She should have realized that she had a slim chance of getting out of there without being discovered.

8. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

What happened to all the Iphone hacks, were they all made obsolete by the update?

9. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Especially after she was contacted no less than four times, asking if she'd like a press pass...

And yes, I do think that getting run out did serve her right - she violated the TOS, she got banned. Simple as that. Although, IMO, any further hacker activity would be over the line. Continuing to harass her would just enforce negative stereotypes, and all that.

10. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

what Techno-Dann said ^^^

11. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

seems to have lost it's balls... I thought defcon was the place for specific details, examples, workshops. Not hey look we can do this but I can't even explain what we can do because some of you might do bad things with it... sigh

12. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Defcon has always been like that man. Mainly high security exploits are released there only after trying to get the manufacturer/software maker to patch the holes.

Plus, I don't think that the feds who are always present at Defcon would like you very much if you just told the world how to take down a critical infrastructure.

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I saw it put this way on another forum: Spot the reporter, well, let's see - guy, guy, geeky guy, guy, guy, HOT BLONDE, geeky guy,... Tough call that one. ;)

Thirded

14. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The person who filmed that video of her being ousted was a woman as well.

15. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

As pathetic as her attempt at getting a "story" was, equally pathetic is the ridiculous mob mentality that ensues. Then again, I reckon most guys that followed her out never came so close to a real woman before without paying.

Nice arse, though.

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Yeah, there are at least two slightly different videos on youtube and I specifically looked to see what the gender balance was. There were a couple of females but they were Very definitely in the minority. I'm not saying that there aren't any good looking women into computers (there are a few) but by the actions of the monkeys in the videos any women, and especially any physically attractive ones, at this event are likely receive a disproportionate level of attention and scrutiny.

Tags: Add Tags