1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors did or do you drive a moped

Discussion in 'General' started by andrew, 12 Aug 2003.

1. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I'm 16 soon and looking to get my self a set of wheels and get onto her majesty's highways. :) I was just wondering if you drove a moped, and if you think they are dangerous or a good idea also. If you have any pics of your moped then post them here.

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If you don't drive like an ass and don't take too many risks then you should be fine. Just make sure you wear protected gear even in the heat, one fellow at work lost a lot of skin as he was wearing shorts when he came off.
    But at your age your stuck to 50cc which means about 35mph unless its de-restricted. Also the insurance will be high unless you buy a new scooter as most do deals for under £200-300.
    click here to see the scooter

3. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

would i drive like an ass? NO. But because i live in gloucestershire it is full of hills and country roads so i think i would have to derestrict it to keep up with the flow of traffic, although risk the chance of getting pulled over by the rozzers.

I was thinking of one of those old vespa's but mabey something newer? :confused:

4. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

oh, nice speedfight by the way:thumb:

5. herbs

I'm not sure about the old bill pulling you for being de-restricted as far as I know its not illegal to de-restrict. A good place to visit is www.twistngo.com forum as I've only been riding for 5 -6 months.

6. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

ok i'll look there. As far as getting pulled over goes, if I do then i'd just act as if i didn't know the rule on derestriction etc. i'm pretty sure its illegal

7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

It's not illegal, but you have to declare it to your insurance, and that means it'll go up a LOT.

8. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm What's a Dremel?

Also if you don't declare it to your insurance co. it will invalidate your policy. So if you have an accident they will not pay out. This includes third party legal costs if you injure someone else.

You may also want to see the Sniff Petrol Anti-Moped campaign before you decide on buying one ;)

9. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

eeh, they annoy other drivers, probably. So assuming that their campaign were to take place all 16 year olds would be given nice 250cc motor bikes instead of 49cc of pure nothing.

10. herbs

LOL at sniff campaign. I use my scooter for work it takes me no longer than 30 mins to get home, in the car it has taken me over 2 hours to get home sometimes. So all them poor car drivers sitting traffic lmao at you when i drive pass you.

11. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

moped drivers unite.
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

12. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I had a 50cc Derbi Predator for a year when I was 16. It was only a 50cc but I had it derestricted and it would do 60mph (indicated and only just). It is illegal but nobody would ever know or care really, it's something everybody does and in my opinion it's far safer than having it restricted as it stops idiots trying to overtake you when there just isn't the room. This does happen anyway - I used to do 50mph in a 40 limit road on the way to college and idiots still used to overtake me just because I was on a scooter. After a while I started just moving out into the middle of the road to stop people overtaking me where I thought it was dangerous.

Mopeds can be dangerous if you're not responsible. Driving it in the wet is scary. I had the back end trying to overtake the front twice in the year that I rode it and it's the worst feeling in the world. I managed to keep it going by some miracle both times but the second time it actually scraped the ground.

Buy yourself a good helmet, some good gloves, be careful and have fun!

13. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Now thats the kind good comment i've been looking for...:rock:

14. herbs

Theres also nothing worse than getting a puncture (happened to me twice), so check out what shops are on the way to college/work that will repair it for you. I know this from experience.

15. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

ok thanks for the advice, but how did you go about getting a puncture?

16. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm What's a Dremel?

Running over something sharp usually does it.

17. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

lol. You dont say:p :D

18. herbs

Yep I was moving to overtake (now thats a joke on with a 100cc scoot) and there was a load of old rusty metal cans, nails etc in the road that I went over. I managed to get the bike home and then took the car to work. They plugged the tyre when they should have replaced it (and I got ripped off there) so about a month later the plug went. I got a new tyre fitted by some other shop for a good price.

19. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

20. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

quite nice, but a bit pizza boyish. But if you like it that s what counts. I'm thinking i might get a harley regal raptor. Crusier:)

Tags: