1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Do I have upgradititis?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by logan'srun, 27 Mar 2010.

1. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

I'm at a dilema right now. The dilema is I have too much time on my hands and idle fingers. I've been thinking about starting a project, but I also don't feel that I have the need to do so. Without the need, I'm stuck with wondering if I should just update my components in the case that I have, and how much would I really gain from it.

My specs:

e6850@4,0 ghz
    EVGA 9800GTX Superclocked
    4GB DDR2@1333mzh (Corsair Dominators 8500)
    Abit IP35 Pro (latest BIOS)
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB as Bootdrive
    Samsung F1 1TB as backup
    Auzen X-Fi Prelude
    Seasonic 650
    V1000
    Everything is WC'd with 2 rads

Here's a old log to the current system here to let you see what I did and what it looks like.

I know it comes down to need vs want: and I feel that I don't need anything, I just want. But I can't even decide if I want anything as I don't feel my system is maxed at all.

Is there anything coming down the pipeline with Intel that I should wait for (otherwise if I upgrade I feel it should be the i7 930), or am I just itching with upgraditis?

Would it be worth anything to upgrade now or just wait a while longer? What would you upgrade if you did so? Why?

Last edited: 27 Mar 2010
  2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

If your computer is still doing what you want it to, then you don't need to upgrade. I upgraded from an AMD X2 4600 2.4ghz dual core, which I had for a good few years. I've still got my 8800GTX. I was hoping to upgrade with fermi being released, but they blew it, so I'm going to sit tight with what I've got. If you really want to upgrade something you could go for an SSD. Only really do this if you load heavy programs off your OS disk. Not an essential upgrade by any means, but it's a nice upgrade none the less.

You could maybe get bigger monitor (I didn't see what you have now?) and maybe a blu ray dvd rom/reader?

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I know how you feel I have 5 computer's now tbh I never use more than 3 been thinking of breaking two of em up, I must have a computer virus.

4. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I suspect nearly all people on this forum have 'upgraditis' to some level. Just some control it better than others!:D

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

My pc started off with an AMD single core 3500, and got upgraded to a dual core x2 4600, when the price drops hit (S939). Then I got one 7900gt, got a second for sli, sold one off, got a 7950GX2, used EVGA step-up program to trade it in for an 8800GTX. Still have the GTX.

6. boz4442

boz4442 What's a Dremel?

Yes you do, as do i... i just wish i had more money. My comp is just over a year old, working fine and well, i feel the need to upgrade. Can't justify it to myself for love nor money other than i just want to tinker.

7. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i too suffer from the need to spend large amounts of cash on my pc when the one i have now works fine

8. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Im in the same boat only a year i go i had an intel core 2 duo e6600, then i got a Q8200 and now i have an i7 (C0 stepping) :D:D in the same time i have had a zotac 9800GTX+ and then i got a 1gb 4870 which i then crossfired with another 1gb 4870 now i have sold 1 4870 was waiting for fermi (very dissapointed) :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::waah::waah: so now im thinking of getting a 5870 even though my 4870 works perfectly and runs all games at high settings!

Im so addicted to upgrades its beyond belief! :waah: oh an i have changed my case 3 times as well (lian li PC7+, Antec 1200 and now Fractal desgin Define R2)

9. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

My main rig (sig) is great.

So why I've just spent £65 on a Phenom2 555 for my second rig is a mystery.

The sole reason was I was miffed that the x2 7750 wouldn't unlock.
    The 555 might not unlock so I may well have burned my cash.

Hell, my seond rig is worth £500 and I've used it once this month, to try and recover a laptop HD while I was gaming.

On the plus side, I got Win7 pro for £43 so I can put my Vista Ulti onto the secondary rig to sell.

plus I've got another 2 PC's, A media PC and a lappy.

I really need help.

What gets me is I've got loads of ideas.
    I've done some flash training, plus I like messing around with photoshop.
    I'm in Desperate need of sorting out my MP3's, which in 10 years has becoms a 10,000 file mess.
    Loads of practical things.

But I just spend 30 hours a week playing TF2, which looks as good on my lappy as my £2000 worth of main rigs.

I really should get help.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I know what you mean, i had the same problem. I opted for a SSD personally. But with a rig like yours i'd just sell and start over if I was going to 'upgrade'. The WC would be too mich of a pain to strip!

11. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

The 'for sale' forums on here are like the dealer that feeds my habit.

12. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Lol yep

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am fighting the symptoms on a constant basis ... I have been quite good lately and haven't upgraded my main PC since last summer. I have fought the urge of buying an SSD dozens of times however and I'm afraid I might lose the battle soon :hehe:

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I've fought it because I'm poor.

Although I'm probably eventually going to grab another HD4850 soon..they're pretty cheap especially on ebay where they can be found for ~$70.

Better deal than anything else.

Snuffles likes this.
  15. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I have a really good reason for not buying an SSD for my games pc. I can't afford one big enough to hold my Steam folder!! Already at 145Gb. Not to mention all my non Steam games. :waah:

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

17. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Thanks for that. I have seen info about this elsewhere. However, there is a fundamental flaw in it's operation.....

Me!!

I'm lazy, and cba. Besides, I'd be using an SSD, but with data on a Sata drive. Wouldn't the gains of using an SSD be negated by the extra time taken to access the Sata drive as well?

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

if the 6GB of a game is on the SSD and the 30MB of Steam is on the HD, I doubt the HD would be much of a limiting factor

This is all just a theory of course.. I would love to make benchmarks to see if there is indeed a difference or not

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm going to buy a SSD this week, so remind me in the upcoming weeks and i'll let you know :)

Plus I have Upgradititis massively right now, I'm trying to convice myself to ditch my HAF for a ATCS 840... NO bad Pete!

20. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

I don't know... you lot all need help! I haven't done anything to my pc in two years! Except more ram... a new case... new fans... new heatsink... and now I'm itching to do a complete overhaul... just the lack of funds is stopping me...