1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Doom 3 - Trailers don't do it justice

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Abadon, 1 Aug 2004.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

the trailers don't give you the whole 'brown trouser' effect.

list of things you need to play D3
    Good pc.
    Beer.
    clean pair of boxers:D

2. Raymus

Raymus What's a Dremel?

Yeah it may be a little repeative at the begining. But then again you are in the Mars city places and im just about where you are. And thats only about 3 hours of playing. From what ive read the game has over 20 hours of gameplay. Surely the next 17+ hours arnt always gonna be in doors. And ive found ways around some of the darkness. In game brightener, monitor brightener and power strip brightener. So having that said im realy enjoying the game now. Should realy finish playing the game before speaking out about repeativeness. Who knows could start getting realy interesting.

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

some might see the first point at a slight spoiler

I've got a few points of discussion to throw out there:

I just got to hell (19hours in) and whats this? no f*****g weapons.
    I'm playing in veteran mode and it was hard enough to stay alive with my weapons.

is anyone actually reading the emails you find? I found one that was one of those Nigerian 419 scams. (for those who dont know what that it is as follows: "my father recently passed away and left me 18.5million dollars, if you lend me $100,000US to get out of nigeria ill give you 25percent of me inheritance" its usually something similar to that)

Did anyone play that turky punching game? wtf is that all about?

one more thing did anyone actually go to martianbuddy.com? early on in the game you read an amil that you've won something...i just went online to martianbuddy and realized that you can use a code there to get some items in game.

4. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

lol doh! :wallbash:

And there was me looking at every in game computer I saw trying to find "internet access".

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I found that kinda cool...mixing reality with gameplay. Cool concept. It just never occured to me to close the game and open mozilla.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

haha not just me then :)

7. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

I know.

But I'm on vacation in a little tiny country that will get Doom3 the 13'th (maybe earlier)

Cheers,
    Mike

8. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Best bit yet m8 :thumb: :rolleyes: I quite like the 'DukeNukemesque' aspects of the game (was so annoyed you couldent piss in the toilets tho! :worried: )

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

You obvioustly diddnt look real hard at the "sanitation factor" of those washrooms...if you crank up youre res you will see that the toilets are quite grubby...While were on the subject of the washroom did neonelse's Doom3 go all "evil" wehn you looked in the mirror? Because mine tripped out...with screams and faces and a pentagram.

For curiosity purposes how far is evoryone in the game and on what difficulty?

10. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

Finished on Veteren and going through a second time on Nightmare. I'm on hold right now until my new video card comes in.

11. slater

LoL you obivously have too much time on your hands!

Im on Communications on easyist (it is pretty dam easy aswell!) Just been playing casualy tho im not one of these people who spends 2 days solid playing just so they can complete it. As long as im ahed of my best m8 i dont care :hehe: (i am by 2 levels :thumb: )

12. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

http://www.ua-corp.com/ :hip: it was a countdown for doom to be launched, pretty cool to have those sites, and martian buddy as well.

13. james_preedy

james_preedy What's a Dremel?

Well ... I was expecting Doom 3 to be slow ... its not - its bloody quick.
    I've just been running it on the second highest detail setting, with everything turned on and 16x AA. It was bouncing off around 60fps - not too slow eh?

:thumb:

Enjoy ...

James

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think you cant use the toilets cause you dont need to. Im sure if i was him id have emptied my bowels LONG before getting to them. :hehe:

So what are the hardness levels? What's it worth playing on for the first time for a FPS veteran?

15. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I read a Trent Reznor blog not long ago in which he explained what happened, seemed to be taking too much time... but he was working with Id on everything, incorperating all the sounds in the game.

In the end it appears the title track was written by an ex-NIN drummer (Chris Vrenna), and game music by a guy called Ed Lima - so there's still a NIN link with the game ;)

Can't wait to play it, t-minus four hours until I finish work...

16. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I suggest vetern. Even that feels pretty easy. Nightmare may be more of a challenge, but all I can tell is that it drops your health to 25 and makes the enemies hit harder.

17. slater

I cant see the point of playing it on a hard setting. All it does is mean you have to use the quick load more often cous you die alot :confused: :rolleyes:

I like to play it on easy cous you get a nice smooth ride through the game with no stops and starts when you die. athough i could prolly manage to do that on a higher level cous i dont think my health has dropped much below 50 yet on easy!

I agree tho if your looking for a challange but not stupidly difficult try veteran. :thumb:

18. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

on easy you can hunt for all the PDA's

19. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Yes.. you get the big mini-gun/chaingun thing rather early on though you dont get more than 60 ammo for it :(

20. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

I'm done. :D

Polished, intense, and fun! Some have criticisms, but none of them seem too relevant when you realize it is another iD title, a retold Doom game. What did they expect? It wiped the floor with any other game I've played recently, thats for sure. It has room for improvement, hopefully that will be realized in Quake 4. Oh, and take the time to read all the PDAs. :thumb:

Tags: