1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming DOOM Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 May 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Reading your review, it sounds like they've put more than the minimal four hours of effort into the SP campaign. A huge relief - I thought this was going to be another MP drudge, with some light SP garnish thrown in, so I've been largely dismissive of the whole thing.

I may actually give it a go.

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

At long long last, a developer who focused on the single player element of an FPS to the detriment of the death death death death multiplayer.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So are you saying there's no new opponents or weapons from one third into the game? As two thirds from the end, is one third from the start.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

What performance can I expect from a 980Ti running 4K? I'm wondering whether to wait for the SLI patch or not.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page4.html

I Would like to play it but my days of paying £40+ for a game are over.

I just don't think they're worth it anymore, by Christmas it will have had the necessary patches, including SLI and will be on sale for a much more reasonable £25.

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

You can get it for around £25 now

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@Hustler - cheers for the link. My 980Ti has ~20% overclock, so should play along relatively happily. I'll play it after finishing Black Mesa.

As a heads up - Simply Games usually sells preorder keys for £22. I picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider and DooM there.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

This. CDkeys was £26 on Saturday when I bought mine and Amazon only want £30 for a hard copy.

Not sure how this performs at 4k yet. I need to DSR later. What I will say is that it absolutely flies along on my Titan X @ 1440p with Nightmare settings enabled and Vsync set to 70HZ.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't mind paying £40 for this.

It took nine hours to complete on Hurt Me Plenty, I've got another 6 hours on it under Ultra-Nightmare (One death so far..), and I've not really touched the Multiplayer beyond the Snapmap tutorials and customising my avatar a bit.

It feels like a £40 game, which is more than I can say for a lot of games.

Performance I find a little weird. I had vsync on and it stuck me at 30 fps (fine) with med-high, but with it off and higher (high-ultra with DoF and motionblur off) settings I'm getting about the same. Occasionally it takes a walk in halfarsed park, but that was mostly
    Going to Vega's core right at the end

Did anyone else think Samuel Hayden's VA was a bit.. James Spader-y? Or was it the visual similarities to Ultron that convinced me of that?

I think they do. I've found most of the weapons going searching on a second play through far sooner than when they "give" you the weapon. Interestingly it changes ammo drops, too.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

How is the screen-bob in the game? I find Wolfenstein only playable in small bursts due to the amount of screen-bob it has.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I haven't noticed any, but the game plays really damned fast, so that might be why!

13. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

There is no screen-bob. DoomGuy glides like an eagle. A very angry eagle with huge guns.

14. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

The single player is so good. The multiplayer is still total bobbins.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I was one of those who enjoyed the multiplayer betas. And now I am one of those who just absolutely loves the singleplayer campaign. Haven't finished it yet, but while not being flawless the campaign is just a massive amount of fun.

I even found the Super Turbo Turkey Puncher, which just made me smile so wide I thought the top of my head might just fall off.

Tags: Add Tags