1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling dual slot graphics card and psu facing each other?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joseph2000, 27 May 2009.

1. joseph2000

joseph2000 What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm pretty sure this is my first post, so hi ppl :lol: , anyways, I am looking for stuff to buy for my first"est" build, I am looking at a 2 slot graphics card and a psu right now and I am thinking, because in the antec 300, the psu is at the bottom, would they somehow deter the cooling because theyre both facing each other and sucking in air and cause a negative pressure or something?,

if so would you recommend me to buy a single slot graphics card?, maybe I'm wrong; they don't have that much of a cachement area? I know this is probably a very basic question :duh: , but hey, it's my first build :thumb:,

The graphics card is XFX GTS250 512MB DDR3 Dual Slot cooling

[​IMG]

The case is the Antec 300

I'm sure y'all know what this case looks like :)

The Power supply is OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking at my thread! :)

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

make sure you have a fan for the side intake.. you should be alright

3. joseph2000

oh ok, thanks, for the speedy reply too :)

4. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Hi
    Welcome to the forums. Personally I don't think the setup you describe should be a problem, and in some cases you may find it better than a traditional mounted PSU. Because of the fan on the GPU blows hot air out/away from the card to get the best cooling, where as if your CPU extracts the air (sort of like an extractor fan on an oven) then blows the hot air out of the back of the case. Unfortunately I don't know which way your PSU fan is mounted, so it may be exhaust (blowing out air) or intake (taking in air). If you can see yourself which way round its mounted then this may help your quiery.

I have a 650W Colors-IT PSU and it has 1 12 cm fan that is mounted in the "intake" position, and so its blowing the hot air out of the back of my case.

If your unsure as to which way its mounted, then if you are able to fire the PSU up, then put a bit of paper against the fan, if the paper sticks to it the its intake, if its blowing the piece of paper away then its exhaust.

Either way you shouldn't really have a problem with your setup, the 250 runs pretty cool anyway.

Hope it helps

Gaz :)

5. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

oh, there you go, you've already got an answer lol.

Totally agree that you should mount a fan on the side, ive recently brought a new case, and it came preinstalled with a 250mm fan on the side, and my GPU temps have decreased by loads.

6. joseph2000

yea, thanks guys :), I'll do that then

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

It won't be a problem anyway. An Antec 300 is large enough that even if the GFX fan is facing downwards at the PSU, they're not close enough (unless you're CFing or SLIing) to interfere with each others airflow.

Also, as the others have said, you can just get a side fan too to aid cooling a bit.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

With a single card setup this definately isn't a problem. In my #1 folding rig, I have 2x cards and the bottom of the second one is very close to the intake of the PSU. As someone else said, make sure that you have a side fan installed in these cases and you will be fine. My folding rig runs 24/7 without any thermal issues whatsoever, so it's not even an issue with 2 dual slot cards.