1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ducky outs slim Blade Air keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Jan 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Looks very cool, but if you're making a slim keyboard, why is it not also TKL?

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Or 60% with bluetooth?

4. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

I've found laptop style keyboards to be better for gaming than traditional mech types, and that was years ago and I've pointed it out ever since. Quiet and much faster feeling than a mech keyboard and with kinder finger angles, though plenty of awful, bendy, clattery laptop keyboards about which is probably why people not clocking on to just how good scissor mechs can be. Not to mention I pointed out cherry switches were categorically not suited for gaming, being wobbly and unsuited to sustained loads, but marketing is strong and membranes/rubber dome at the time were indeed mostly horrible and the ancient mechanical model Ms were just not good for gaming at all. Dell were good though, the AT102W saw lots of action from me in that period. Anyhow, I believe Romer G et al rectified this with better key stems so I'd hope these new cherry switches, if aimed at gamers, are not just rehashes of the old MX models, they make no mention of stability, likely because trashing your current cash crop to sell a niche key would be bad...the stem does look wider though.

Seriously, good scissor mechs on a rock solid base need to be a thing. Apple have good ones, but they went too far with the butterfly model and reduced tactile feedback too much imho. Cherry strait is nice too.

Best laptop keyboard I've ever used would probably be the Psion MC400, doubleshot mechanical cherry blacks iirc. A 1989 laptop sadly (had a trackpad too!), and everything else about it is quite terrible/annoying aside from the epic battery life.

Tags: Add Tags