1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA making Dante's Inferno: The Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

IF it were to be something insightful, or at least complex to the point of mind bending problems, an RPG that focused not on gore, but genuinely scaring the player using something other than crappy shock tactics, then I would be all for it.

However, knowing EA, the article is probably right in that it's likely to be a gorey shooter. Another gorey shooter. Where did imagination go?

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

"fight through the depths of hell".

Urrrghh. Take someones idea and ruin it :X

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

knowing EA, the first game will just be one of the circles of hell, then they'll release sequel after sequel for each circle of hell...

5. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Oh dear...

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Oh Hell,
    Exactly what i was thinking when i heard EA had rights to it

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Oh bother.. *facepalm*

8. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

So Universal couldn't just make a movie of the actual work? They had to walk it through EA's perversion in order to get a movie out of it?

9. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond What's a Dremel?

Maybe they can get Uwe Boll to direct the movie, just to make sure that it a total piece of garbage.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

well if it came out like Dead Space i wouldn't mind at all................... more surviving... less shooting... 9 circles of hell......awesome.

11. Goty

Goty Minimodder

With The Inferno being possibly my favorite piece of middle age literature of all time, this is really disappointing. EA is going to screw this up so badly it's not funny.

12. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

Wait, they bought the rights to it? The Divine Comedy was written in the early 14th century, who the hell did they buy the rights from? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't trademark something that's been in the public domain for centuries. In any event, EA is going to hell for doing this; while they're at it, they might as well make a game starring William Shakespeare in his gory quest to have his plays accepted.

13. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

I agree with the 'confusion' caused due to rights ownership.

I happen to have a copy of The Descent into Hell (the equivalent of Inferno [the first book] from The Divine Comedy) published as part of the Penguin Epic series in front of me. I'm in two minds about this. No movie or video game will ever do justice to a work of literature. But, 'modern adaptations' spark interest to go back and (re-)read the original material.

I don't think it's a bad thing especially when the original work is quite hard to appreciate (from a modern perspective). The only time I disagree is when literature is quite contemporary, and alterations have been made to bring the narrative structure in line with cinematic conventions. Writing a screenplay for a classic piece of literature is a hard task, but any alterations shouldn't diminish the integrity of the text (especially when it's the first cinematic adaptation).

Take The Lord of the Rings. The screenplay obviously had to condense the story, and cutting sections which weren't relevant to the main plot was a good call. But, changing the storyline to give Arwin more screen time so the 'love interest box' can be ticked off is just wrong.

14. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

theyd better be long levels seeing as there arent gonna be that many ;)

15. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

Dante's Simferno The first circle of hell due 2009 and 8 expansion packs for the rest of the circles of hell coming soon after.
    2010 will bring a crappy MMORPGFPS dealing with Dante's heavenly adventure. Don't forget the free DRM virus SecuROM included with each 3 install rental.

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

This is going to be either an amazing game that will last through the ages, or one of the shittiest games of the year.

I can't see anything in between. :/

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This one can be a console exclusive. In fact, please make it console exclusive!

18. =cJ=

=cJ= What's a Dremel?

The First Circle:

Here reside the "independent" game developers, who, though not part of EA, did make use of EA for marketing and distribution of their product. They are not punished in an active sense, but rather grieve only their association with EA, with no hope of expunging the EA logo from their games splash screen and cover artwork.

Second Circle

Those members of EA responsible for the releasing of endless sequels are punished in this circle. Forced to play never ending games of Madden and FIFA with no release from the onerous grind of the next sequel being released. These souls crave for a release from their onerous grind, but are forever chained to their particular franchise until the end of time.

Hmm, I'm starting to run out of ideas here....

19. cjhygino

cjhygino C. J. Hygino

Hey... A combat in hell and about nine levels... Uhuuuuuuuuu... Where's my machine gun, marines??????????

20. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

If EA are doing it, lets face it. Its gunna be a pile of poop

Tags: Add Tags