1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA's Jack the Ripper game detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oh dear...

Why couldn't they have made it a detective thriller? Trying to catch the ripper as a policeman would be much more interesting...

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Wouldn't that be a bit too cliche? Tho it still sounds as good (bad) as what they're doing.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

First they turned Inferno into an action game with demons, and now Jack the Ripper as an action game with demons? Lol, what next?

Princess Diana recast as a magical sword weilding herion, stalking land-mind fields fighting off legions of armoured ghouls sent against her by the Queen Mother.

"The People's Princess is kicking ass and chewing bubble gum. Butler, I need some more chewing gum!"

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I could see the the final battle, her making a Joan de Arc last stand against hordes of paparazzi demons

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

How terrible does this game sound?!? I'd rather go around killing prostitutes! >:D

8. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Sorry but that sounds pure idiocy, I hope its just a far fetched rumour. I mean the game would be in bad taste if it was true to life but it would certainly have more of an appealing story as far as playability is concerned. Even if it was played from the detectives point of view as opposed to the actual whore bashing.

9. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

To be honest this seems horrible and lazy to me, as to me it seems that they must be either making a Jack the ripper game just to be controversial and get free publicity, or they've come up with the idea of demon hunting in Victorian London and are too lazy to create their own backstory.

10. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

i agree with most things already said - this sounds ridiculous.

as i was first reading i thought several things, at first i thought, you can't surely be playing jack - that would be sick, we must be some sort of detective... but then there's the fact he was never caught so the game would either be endless or have a made up end.

then i got to the demon part and didn't know whether to laugh or not.

sounds to me like their desperate to make a game about jack the ripper, as the name still draws attention and can sell stuff on its own (plus of course there's been a recent film), and this is the only way they can think of to stop it being distasteful due to realism and they THINK that this is an entertaining twist on things.

maybe it's only brits who find this wrong - will be interesting to know from people who give views where you're also from... (country is fine don't need to be more specific)

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I wonder how they will deal with the prostitution angle in the US and UK, both countries are squeamish about portrayals of sex, never mind sex for sale.
    If they are going to make a game based on Jack the Ripper they should make it honest. As Jack you would have to gain the trust of the hookers, murder them and then escape. I doubt that game will ever be made, and maybe it shouldn't be, but half assed attempts to use Jack to sell games is just as bad.

Yours in Jack the Ripper was a Time Traveler Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I skimmed though the article until I read demon hunter and exaggerated weaponry, first thing to pop into my head was EA. Went to read article again properly and sighed. Typical.

13. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

So they already have a daemon-killer-engine - why not use it with other characters. Up next? Jack the Rapper starring LL Cool J as daemon slayer?

Or will this be something like Jack's all high on opium and sees daemons instead of hookers and exagerated weaponry instead of a dagger?

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

so jacks the good guy.. sounds too far out for me

15. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

"a bullet-time ability"

Wow. Uber cutting edge. ....not.

16. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

And a grimy big gun toting bullet timing bad ass is not?

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Holy lots of crap and cliches, Batman!

18. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Wow, unbelievably tacky.

They are quite literally demonising the victims of a sexual predator, while turning their killer, one of the most notorious serial sadistic murderers in history, into the hero. This is so beyond good taste that I can foresee a very public media roasting in EAs future.

Will there be a sequel featuring the dynamic demon killing duo of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley killing Satan's little spawn? I can the comedic opportunities!

19. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

All I can say is MEH!

Tags: Add Tags