1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Easiest way to back up files from android to Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Software' started by silk186, 13 Jul 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

My wife's phone, 256GB is full of video, much of it for work. She wants a solution to automatically back-up up, or very easily transfer content to external local storage. I'm thinking my desktop because it's always on and I can pick up an 8TB HDD. I will be getting here some cloud storage but I'm waiting for a Chinese SIM card to arrive to get a few TB storage.

It needs to be extremely easy and wireless.

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I had good experience with MyPhoneExplorer, it also lets you sync contacts/calendar/sms. Works over Wifi/BT/Cable.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will give it a try, the primary need is the ability to move video files on and off the phone - around 500mb each which I can store on a large external drive.

Edit: I just ordered a 12TB drive from WD for £167.39, seems a good price.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2020
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Do bear in mind that what you're describing is not a backup. A backup would be having the video files on both the phone and some form of external storage, so there are two copies; if you've moving the files, there's still only one copy. If the external drive catches fire, you're stuffed.

Based on the original post, I was going to suggest Syncthing - it automatically synchronises folders on devices, so you can set it up on a server, desktop, laptop, whatever and it'll pull files from the phone invisibly. You can even set it up to keep versions and deleted files, like a proper backup solution. That won't do what you're after if you're trying to save space on the phone, though.

Best advice I can give from your follow-up would be to now go ahead and buy a second 12TB external drive, and periodically copy the contents of the first onto the second.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't think she is sure what she wants. She accidentally deleted an edited video she was planning to upload to another platform and her phone is full. Syncing video to external storage so that she can access them later if needed is one solution, especially if it is automated.

Alternatively, if she can select a finished video and send to drive with the share button that would be good as well. Her MacBook doesn't have enough storage. She misses how her iPhone automatically synced with her MacBook.

6. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine