1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Epic gaming moments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. el_diablo_72

el_diablo_72 What's a Dremel?

Finally beating Dark Omen without cheating...
    The idea of loading the flagelants with an exploding device and suiciding them was magic.

Completing Planescape Torment...

The best moments seem to be in the older games.

3. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Any game you get sufficiently into will provide epic moments - the key seems to be getting to a point where you can do crazy stuff, and more importantly being in a situation where someone else notices how crazy what you just did was!
    My most memorable was on the map CTF-TwinTombs in UT2K4 (instagib CTF), where I got back to my teams base with the enemy flag and found it contained 2 enemy players waiting to kill me...so I dived down a big hole in front of the flag making them think I'd killed myself, then managed to walldodge back up out of the hole (something previously thought impossible) and catch them unawares, killing them both and making the cap. I was shaking like a leaf from adrenaline for the next 10 mins.
    Any game I have put more than 20 hours in has provided me with similar moments - I am sure _everyone_ has memories from games like CS or CoD4 of being the last man standing and taking out the whole opposition with nothing but a pistol and a grenade etc.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

UT2K4 was great, I loved the football mode! Nearly every battle there had at least one epic moment!

5. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Ah yes, i remember in UT(cant remember which one), i was the mutant and everyone was behind me, so i load 3 rockets and spin round just as the last one loads to see 6 guys (that was Everyone in our mini lan game) right behind trying to kill me, i let loose the triple rocket and killed the whole team in a single strike. Epic!!

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

So many, mainly from Left 4 Dead when it first came out and I was co-oping with my girlfriend. She'd get in trouble with a hunter and horde and I'd come in swinging, spraying and swearing. Or vice versa, I'd get hammered by a tank and she'd save me at the last minute and I'd see her, as Bill, come up over the rise already emptying her last clip into the tank. Pure epic.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

crysis warhead threw up plenty of these moments for me. i found by the time i completed it i was genuinely surprising myself. i'd try and take out a group of enemies using as many suit modes as possible. win.

8. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

2 CSS moments from back in the day, both from office.

1: Getting 2 headshots on guys running round a corner one behind the other with one bullet with the scout, everyone went mental over VOIP. super smug after that one lol

2: Me against 5 terrorists, all hostages dead and i hunted down all of them with just a knife cos i thought i was gonna die anyway. i dont think i couldve used a gun in the end cos i was shaking so much from the adrenaline. (and i suck at any form of gunplay at CSS... is it really that realistic? :'( )

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

for me it was COD4, sabotage mode. I was at a small LAN of about 50 people, and about 15 of us were in the Countdown map, with the rocket launch installation in the middle. Battle was intense, and teams were very evenly matched. It came down to the last game (4-3 in a best of 9) after about two hours of heavy heavy shooting. Blinking your eyes was only allowed during respawn time. Everyone was shouting and screaming, the general area of the bom was constantly being pummeled by grenades and mortarfire, snipers were everywhere, helicopters and airstrikes were coming in waves, and that damn bomb was just not budging. When we scored the equaliser (4-4) and everyone just erupted in either cheers or noes, more and more people kept joining. That last point took over 2 hour to make, and took some SERIOUS team effort. The server was at max capacity, which i guess is 32. Over those two hours, there was always that sense of utter balance between the teams, a teetering seesaw that slowly lurched the wrong way the moment you slacked just a bit.

That one battle lasted from 22:00 to 02:00, after which everyone just dropped dead (or made a run for the loo). Truely epic stuff, especially as everyone in the server was sitting in the same small room. I have played many many games, but that sense of palpable energy and suspense never ever came back.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2009
  10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Unlike epic moments of victory in a FPS game, the thing that stands out the most for me is in Freespace 2, when the SJ Sathanas first appeared - that ship was enormous... and jumped in right on top of me the first time I played that mission, so my ship got pasted before I could even think to evade.

That game was so far ahead of its time. An absolute classic.

11. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

For me it was a small LAN a few months back and we were playing TF2 (my least favorite FPS). Anyway we were playing a CTF map, not sure which one. It had a bridge and was desert like. Well we were going back and forth with one round for over 1hr till we organize an all scout rush and we grab 2 points in 3 min and then about 5 min later we finish it off.

12. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

A BF2 one for me - racing an enemy player towards a vacant helicopter. While sprinting, I realised he was going to beat me too it, and would take off and shred me with its machine guns....

Fortunately, I was playing as special forces, so I was armed with C4. He duly grabbed the chopper, but didn't manage to take off before I reached it and slapped the C4 on the tail. I walked calmly away while he spun up the rotors and took off, thumbing the detonation switch as I saw him rise off the ground.

He had no idea what hit him, and I got to saunter away from a pile of flaming debris like something from a cheesy 80s action movie.

13. el_diablo_72

el_diablo_72 What's a Dremel?

I'd forgotten freespace 2, absolute classic.

Wing commander prophecy - with the Coms officer screaming at me to return to the ship.

Lovely.

14. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

Some of the best moments I have ever seen were cinematic-like moments in the HL2 series. One of the most exciting parts of those games was during the airboat ride when that giant tower collapses in front of you.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Reminds me of when my friend (playing on my PC) got 5 kills in 3 shots on CoD4 by spamming (read putiing a few shots into) an opening that everyone runs past from the spawn. Not so epic but it was pretty funny.

16. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

My best moment was a triple head shot in CSS with the AWP (yey for people stacking in the Dust2 tunnels) and a double headshot with the scout in dust2 at short-A boxes.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

quake 2 duels had so many epic moments I remember the most.. same with counterstrike- like when we had one mexican clanmate, and had a east coast clanmate.. well they would constantly get into it- alot of time during an actual match and I'd hear the awp go off and one of them would be team killed

but quake 2.. you would literally be sweating, like using all your brainpower in a duel.. you had the mega (+100hp) timing not to mention the physics were so sick.. nothing really touches that even quake 3- they actually gimped quake 3 imo taking out the double jumps

like I remember most dm1, I would take the mega early and when hit 100 health.. you had to countdown, it was 10 seconds the mega would respawn.. alot of times you could pull a guy off the mega room into the arena and go up the elevator and jump on it right as it respawned

some well placed rockets when you knew where the guy was at would usually land in his face right as he turned a corner.. you fired them off 3-4 seconds ago XD you just had so many ways to get to the same places with double and circle, strafe jumping.. no 2 games was ever the same

sadly since video games has become so popular.. everything is dumbed down- in quake 2 you could be stripped of everything but a blaster and jump circles around a newbie decked out.. not to mention in 2v2 or 4v4 you could drop weapons and ammo separately on the ground for a teammate who just got fragged.. or my favorite drop a rocket launcher in the middle of the arena.. watch a newbie watering at the mouth go for it and pop that weasel

was the ultimate in twitch skills but you had movement on top of it all.. to watch a new guy in that game was almost comical.. they'd run around all flat footed like the games today- you had alot of shortcuts to get around the map if you knew the physics.. it was pretty much genius what id created there.. so many different ways to jump there was no 'right' way to do something- and if you watched someone in duel you knew exactly who they were even under alias.. everyone had thier own style.. pretty cool game- still haven't found a replacement

jedi knight was good but the one hit saber kills were skillless.. counterstrike if you were good, you could take out 1v4, those were pretty memorable.. stupid cheaters in the top rungs of the ogl ruined that game for me though

18. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

The first time I was part of a team that killed Diablo on Diablo 2, I think it took the best part of 20 mins.

My gunner taking down a banshee on Halo.

Exiting the cave at the start of Oblivion having not seen a screenshot.

Landing a headshot on a cloaked spy in mid air purely by accident and my most recent epic moment. Pushing the blue team back from the last corner on Goldrush (part 2) all the way back to well before checkpoint 1.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The First time you see the outside of Morrowind on a hill.

Triple Headshot with an Unscoped Arisaka in COD:WAW(the sole reason I love Cliffside)

Requiem in Hitman:BM

Killing Lee Hone in Hitman:C47

FF7's Sephiroth battle.

20. salesman

salesman Minimodder

My favorite epic moment (which like everyone there is so many to chose from) is from CSS.
    I was on a sever of 32 people full playing Italy. I went up the left side didn't really pay attention to who was being killed. All I remember is by the time I was about to go into the house to rescue the hostages I had said over the radio that I was doing just that. Which in turn I hear silence so I hit tab and immediately realize why that is, for it is just me and one other guy on my team and then seeing there is like only one guy dead on the opposing team, at which time they kill the other guy so now I am alone against like 15 people, (I really didn't look that long at who and how many just knew it was enough to kill me quick) while in the house where the hostages are.(A little side note: I hate it when someone is that last guy on the team and all he does is hide in some obscure corner somewhere only to be taken out 2 minutes later by the second guy that passes by). So I figure to wait a bit and see if I can take out a few people and not waste too much time doing so. I stick my head out the front door and catch 2 off guard running up the hallway to check to see if i am at the hostages and get them both with one clip (wow what luck I think). Then I run back inside up the stairs and look out the top window only to see one guy running into the house below me, so I follow him in and shoot him in the back and then hide next to the hostages. I got another one coming in that way, so I run back upstairs which at this point my hand is shaking because of the adrenaline (I was not very good at the game but I loved it). So I see another guy run in and I do the same thing I jump down and follow him in, which I also hear shots being fired at me while I am chasing the guy back inside. I've killed five now, and I hear someone's footsteps at the front entrance which when he stepped in at that point I felt invincible and easily took him down. My mind is racing I have just killed 6 people in about 25 seconds, and my m4 is low on ammo which I pick up and ak that only has 30 rounds in it. I look out the front door and take out one guy coming up the hallway ( and I'm thinking to myself this can't be true there is no way I'm lucky if I take out 3 guys in one round), and run back inside to the hostages and start looking for more ammo but I am shaking so bad I can't find it quick enough, at that time the admin puts up on my screen telling me "Go Blackpipe GO!!!" in blue letters (Blackpipe was the name I had). I take out another guy with my pistol and rather then get caught switching between guns on the floor I just go with the knife, not being that good with the knife yet being on an adrenaline rush I willed myself to kill one guy with it, which was probably the first and last time I've ever done so, I managed I guess by running around in game like a crazed banshee thrusting my knife at him from all directions scaring the piss out of the poor soul hence the game thought he should be dead and so it granted me the knife kill. After that that I ran out the front door with nothing but my knife thinking I don't want to be gunned down in the house but rather rushing towards them with a knife just hoping they would piss their pants with the statement that I just took out over half your team in less then 40 seconds and now I am coming straight at you. However, they killed me pretty quick since all that was left on their team had made it back to the spawn area and was unloading the guns on me at which point I was quite content with the feat I had just pulled off. I have never even come close to killing 9 people in one match before, although I have seen other people take out entire teams before and do it with much better skill then I have, I know it will never be as epic as I experienced first hand. When I died my team was either saying over mic or typing to me how crazy that looked, at which point some 13 year old kid wants to buy me a gun so he gets me the pump shotgun next round which I didn't really mind and since my hands were shaking so bad it made it easy to shoot people, however, I had to stop playing for the rest of the day because my hands were shaking so bad. To be honest though I did kill nine people, and I did it in less then a minute but in all the craziness that happened the details on how exactly everything went down have slipped slowly from my mind over the years, for it all happened so fast, which my only regret is I wish I had a video of it, but then again I don't really need the video to prove anything I know I am not that good at the game it was just some freak accident that turned into pure awesome epicness which I can only describe with those words. Hell, I've even had fun reminiscing about it.

Tags: Add Tags