1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Oct 2008.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Last edited: 30 Oct 2008
  2. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Strange thing that there are people complaining that FO3 is a RPG. I never complained that Half Life is a FPS!
    BTW, HL would make a really nice RPG!

I don't care if the graphics are too grey or washed out! Well, maybe a little...But I wan't to play a good game not repetitive as Far Cry 2!

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I've been playing the review copy since Joe finished his review, and have to say this game is awesome. You can play it as a ball out FPS if you really want, but the VATs system works perfectly too if you'd rather have some RPG tastiness too.

I'm about 10 hours in and have only scratched the surface - there are plenty of side quests to do to keep you busy, rather than just blitzing through the story line.

I'm somewhat regretting my career choice though - speech medicine and lock picking might help me talk my way out of combat, but isn't so useful fighting off super mutants!

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

People would really **** if they left the turn-based system in the game like in the originals. I'm sure you know but Fallout has always been a RPG with a turn based system until this current mess they call Fallout 3.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

People would love it, well, atleast I would, turn based Cheesecake:rock:

6. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

You're one of the few that doesn't have video game A.D.D......oh look a penny. :rock:

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

honestly, as someone who generally hates RPGs, this game is pretty good

the single complaint i can come up with atm is that manual shooting seems to do way less damage than VATS, which is annoying
    but VATS gives you hilarious screenshot opportunities with all kinds of awesome gore :D

you can still move around in first person view and from that respect its just like a FPS, except changing weapons is a bit more convoluted

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

It is an RPG; it just happens to be in the first person.

So we have FPS players complaining it is too much RPG, and hardcore fallout veterans/purist RPGers complaining that it's not turn-based and isometric. I don't think Bethesda are going to win this one!

Personally, I think it sounds great (apart from the consol-ification)... I just hope Gamestation deliver on time (still marked as 'processing').

9. ginbong

ginbong What's a Dremel?

Well I have bought it and no complaints so far. I have exited the vault and my next mission is to go to bed for work in 3hours time xD

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You can finish X3?

11. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

Fallout 1's inventory interface was farking terrible as well.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

12. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

So, has anyone talked to mr burke in megaton and completed his mission? Incredily beautiful view from the tower :D
    But I wonder how it affects the game afterwards... it's well worth a try though :)

Spoiler:
    You nuke the town of megaton and get to watch from afar...

13. ginbong

ginbong What's a Dremel?

Can anyone explain to me what the 3 TAG skills actually are? Do they improve more than the other skills? The manual or game actually didn't explain xD

I'm worried I messed up my character 2hours into the game

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Tag skills are skills that you choose for your character to be naturally gifted at at the start of the game. They shouldn't change anything (except perhaps which perks you can access, maybe) except those skills but they give you a bonus (20 percent IIRC) to that skill. For example, if I chose Science, Small Guns and Unarmed as tags then I would get a 20% bonus at the start of the game in those skills. You should use them in skills you plan to use a lot in the start of the game so you don't have to spend as long developing them. Small Guns is always a good choice, as is Doctor.

15. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

In X3 the game finishes you :) If space sims are your thing check out Evochron Renegades for a truly inertial experience.

I could use a change of pace though. Shops open, check. Coffee almost finished, check. Ventured into the war zone that is the official beth. forum, check. Giggled self silly watching Red Alert 3 trailers, check. Wait a minuet, wrong game. Ahhhh.

I'm off to get my DRM inoculation booster jab, see ya.

16. tupera

tupera What's a Dremel?

For some other info on that quest, which includes spoilers:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Power_of_the_Atom

I was also reading that if you detonate the bomb you get some sort of suit from Burke. That web site has a lot of other useful info about Fallout 3 if you do not mind the spoilers.

17. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

no, but you may miss some historical references. nothing terribly important.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i must confess, after the failure of far cry 2 was reluctant to pick this up and i did and boy am i glad i did, everyone i know is playing it differently its awesome to sit in irc and listen to things people have done that are so radically different from the wya youve gone.

its brilliant. and yeah i keep list of stuff that i can scavange that sells well.

19. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

I think people who complain about VATS think of Fallout as an FPS, when in fact it's an RPG. I for one think this is one of the best games ever. I never finished Morrowind because it was boring, empty and pointless. Fallout 3 is just about perfect in every aspect. If you're an adventure/RPG fan, this is it; if you're a twitch FPS fan, you may be (slightly) disappointed.

20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

FO3 isn't perfect by any stretch. I'm trying to navigate across downtown (without using the metro) but I can't because of the invisible walls. I think downtown is too grey (yes, concrete is grey, but they could break it up a bit). The metro is a bit repetitive (just like the dungeons in Oblivion). And you can't move and shoot in VATS. Like Oblivion it suffers somewhat at the hands of consolification, but it doesn't break it.

But it is a damn good FP-RPG. The best game I've played this year, and it puts Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, STALKER:CS, and especially Far Cry 2 to shame.

I wonder how many people are going to be sufficiently impressed to go back an try FO/FO2 - and get the shock of their lives. FO3 is the best so far; it is faithful to the story and ethos of FO but has dragged the series into the 21st century.

Tags: Add Tags