1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ferrari Enzo tribute - 20/12/2007 - *ON HOLD*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 12 Mar 2007.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great to see you back at it Dima! High class work as usual dude. I can't to see this one finished :thumb:

2. widmod

widmod Minimodder

great resin work
    nice to see you working again
    looking forward to the result
    any windows planned in the case to look at the internal covers?

3. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks everyone!

widmod: Yes i plan to make some windows, that will be done after i finish working on the interiors

I'm working on several things at the same time so posting updates right now will just create a mess, as I'm not concentrating on anything particular. Expect a rather big update in the upcoming days :cooldude:

4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Hey guys, time for this weekend's update :)

Lets start with the wiring tunnel.

First i trimmed the part to the desired height. For that i used Dremel's diamond cutting disk fixed in a drill press at a certain position, then just went over the disk with the tunnel. The result was a perfectly straight cut.

[​IMG]

The next step was to give the part a light coat of primer, just to highlight the areas that needed some bondo love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the primer dried completely it was sanded and some spot putty applied on top to fill all the small holes and gaps.

[​IMG]

Finally the part received another thick layer of primer. Once cured it will be sanded again and painted in black

[​IMG]

Next was the side panels. As you probably remember i used some foam sheets sanded to the shape and covered with fiberglass to create the door shapes on the side panels. Now after cutting the case open i had to stiffen the parting line. I carved about 5 mm of the foam from the side panels and filled it with polyurethane foam which is much stiffer than the foam i used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After it cured the excess was cut away and smoothed with some bondo

Both of the PSU covers were primed and painted in black

[​IMG]

And inside the case

[​IMG]

I used some of the mesh i got from MNPCTECH to make the front grille. I think it looks pretty good :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step was to mount the fan accent plates on the mobo cover. After covering the area with some masking tape i carefully measured and placed the accent plates on the cover. They were used both as drilling and milling templates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dremel carving bit i used for this job

[​IMG]

And the final result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Car pc's are sexy, but a scratch built ferrari pc is a whole new level of sexy :naughty: Am i the only one that gets turned on by this sort of stuff?

6. widmod

widmod Minimodder

no your right its sexy :lol:

7. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i also vote for sexy.

8. mvagusta

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

agreed, except i don't get turned on by compu ters...:hehe:
    great update ssr!

10. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

very good work so far
    cant wait for the next update!
    the MB cover is very nice, what about the holes for the Water cooling \ EX cards \ RAM?
    you got any ideas for the PSU covers?

11. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Those fans in the mobo cover are 40mm I think so there's plenty of room there. My thoughts though that you use water cooling for noise reduction, but 4x40mm just defeats that purpose. Are they going to be undervolted (5v or 7v) just to get air flowing?

Brilliant work on the case. I've got the fibreglass supplies for a repair to my car (32 years on you can't get the panels any more) and you've inspired me to give it a go now. I'll be following this one with great interest :thumb:

12. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I would make one minor recommendation, and that is countersinking the holes on the fan plates to make the screws sit flush to the surface.

Just my personal taste mind!

13. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks for the comments guys!

arkadur: the holes for the CPU block and GFX card will be made once i get the mobo. As for the PSU covers, the ideas are circling in my head but i dont have anything solid in mind yet. Either way I can work on them at any stage of this project so I'm not in a hurry

Constructacon: You are not the only one in these forums concerned about the noise level of 40mm fans. The fans were tested at 12V and run very quiet, so no worries on that front :). Also you really should give fiberglass a go, its not as hard to do as it might look :)

TheCherub: The holes are already countersunk, the reason why the screws are sticking out is because during the last update i didn't use the origonal screws intended for this job but the ones i had nearby, and they had a slightly bigger head. Either way i will be looking for some allen screws to replace those as i don't like them very much

14. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

It looks awesome; what are your plans for the rig after you finish it? Keep it for yourself or sell it?

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks sexy.

16. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Nice Ferrari there!

I just have a question, the back plate on which the pci-brackets rests, it's made of wood and it's clear - are you going to let it like that, or will you put on some CF to conceal the wood? I'm curious :)

/Frido

17. mvagusta

I'm sure that wood would get painted or something. "wood would" doesn't sound right... :confused:

18. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks everyone!

headala: of course i will keep it for myself lol. It's not even finished yet but it's going to take me so much time to complete it that selling it wouldn't be worthy.

Frido: Of course, eventually all the parts in this case will be either painted or covered

Today's update is mostly about the wiring tunnel. Since the last update i took some time to laminate the cover, pretty much the same process as before. The only thing i did was thickening the original mold with some layers of masking tape to allow the cover to close

After releasing and trimming the cover to the desired height this is what i had

[​IMG]

And closed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after some bondo work to smooth the surface

[​IMG]

The cover after a few coats of primer

[​IMG]

And then after some sanding it was painted in black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While being at it i had some spare paint left so i painted the PSU mounts i made earlier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. widmod

widmod Minimodder

stunnig attention to the details :jawdrop:

20. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Stunning is not the word! Amazing! :)

Let it flow!!!

/Frido