1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First Deus Ex 3 details emerge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I don't like the crouch heal system one bit. I think Deus Ex had the best damage system in any game, with your accuracy decreasing if your arm is damaged and slower movement if your legs are shot. I just hope the AI improves in this one, I never played the second but the idea of enemies sprinting away when they're on the verge of death was just daft

3. CardJoe

I quite liked that. They'd try to take you down because you looked normal, then when they found out you were superhuman they'd scarper and try to hit an alarm or find a medkit. Choosing your fights and making sure that running enemies didn't run through camera paths was good.

Invisible War gets a bad rap. It wasn't a worthy sequel and it did have it's flaws, but there was still a lot to like about the game and there are some bits of IW I really wish were in the first game - like Unique Weapons.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

another shitting console shooter :/

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I think I'll hold my tounge until the game is either released, or more detail is known. After the second one.. They have a lot of work to do to get me interested in anything but the original.

6. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Sounds in some ways similar to the half life plot actually. But I don't mind the CoD health system, but whether it will work with Deus Ex I don't know. The second game was appalling and just lacked the depth and expanse and feel or the first one.

7. CardJoe

I just hope that this health-recharge system iisn't infinite like in COD, but linked to an Aug like it was in DX1.

8. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I hate this health recharging system. I they must absolutely use it, why don't they just limit it to the easy mode?

9. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

I'll add my voice to the soon to be clamouring masses and say that the health recharging is not a good sign...

That system works very well in games like CoD - i.e. first person 'action' shooters - a genre which Deus Ex manifestly does *not* fall into. The whole point about the accumulating damage in DE was that you had to think and be careful about how hurt you got - to discourage the 'guns blazing' approach (though of course that was always an option if you had the weapon skills to back it up anyway).

And then, as you say Joe, there is an obvious Aug which lets you recharge health (and a very useful one it was too!).

*Sigh* I really hope this lives up to expectations, but then, I think I'll just expect to be disappointed. At least no-one can ever take the joy of the original away (I'm playing it again now, what an amazing piece of work it is).

10. CardJoe

I do have a horrible feeling it will be *just* like it was in COD, which would be awful, but I'm hoping that it'll go the other way and be aug-based and drain your Bio-electric instead.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

My thoughts exactly.

12. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

noooo.... recharging health :(

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Deus Ex 2 was very good - for a console game. Consoles are for children, idiots and casual players who will not tolerate the kind of thought required to get the most out of a game like the original.

Deus Ex 3 will presumably also be very good - for a console game. It is now impossible to make any serious game without considering the console market, and it is impossible to make a really worthwhile Deus Ex sequel which is saleable to that market.

Ergo there cannot currently be a worthwhile Deus Ex sequel. Market conditions make it impossible.

14. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Why did the creator not want to get involved? Strange. I hope the new game is made by as good as writers as the last ones.

Does anyone else think the 90's was the golden age of ... everything (Dues ex, half life, the X-files etc..)? Must be everyone was afraid of armageddon and tried a little harder...

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

spoken like a true gamer, the same can also be applied to nearly everygame coming out which is why i still rate crysis and warhead as two of the last greats to be made.

16. CardJoe

Spector has given his blessing, but now works for Disney as a developer and wants to move on to new things.

17. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Cross platform development = dissappojntment. Sorry, i would love to be excited but everythign so far screasm at trying to please the AD&D Console audience, dumbed down? Yipper. Consoles are the worst thing to happen to gaming, mass market dumbed down games with millions spent on advertising and hype ia all we get now.

18. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I hope its good, even if its average I'll probably still buy it even if its consol friendly.

I reckon the biggest problem this game, and IW, has is that the original was soooo much of a departure from anything else around at the time (and arguably since) that I honestly believe that it is quite unique and has never been equalled and probably never will be. I think that it won't matter what its like there will always be a backlash and there will always be people who will hate it.

Every time I think of Deus Ex I always remember the first time I played it after reading the reviews and hearing all the glowing superlatives that were overflowing about how wonderful it was - I hated it so much and vowed to scrub it from my hard drive and burn the disk. I know it sounds like blasphemy now but the problem was that I didn't get into the necessary mindset to play the game as it needed to be played, for some reason I gave it one more shot and it suddenly clicked and even know I acknowledge its true genius. As soon as I built my current rig, after HL2, Deus Ex was one of the first games I loaded up, each time I play it I try to do some of the tasks just a bit differently or change my skills and augmentations just to see how it goes.

I think the best way to describe Deus Ex would be its the game world equivalent of capturing lightning in a bottle and will probably never be repeated. I do have to say, given the past record of Ion Storm, did anyone expect them to produce anything as good?

19. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Deus Ex
    Come on I am waiting.I remember wonderful nights i spent playing 1st game way back in 2001.

20. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

If they could only develop it for a pc and then port it to console. Not the other way around. Last console i owned was a snes. Fun yes. But not much else than button mashing at the right time.
    Keyboard and mouse, baby. All the way

Tags: Add Tags