1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: MSI P55 GD65

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Aug 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

"rocking the first look boot"?? :)

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What's with all the stupid writing on the board? :eyebrow:

Like the color scheme, though all-black still would be my favorite. Layout seems good, OC Genie pretty useless for us here but good for Joe Average who doesn't know/care much about overclocking.

Performance will be inferior due to that crappy SATA/IDE controller chip but it won't be really bad so I think it'll all come down to the price [once more].

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's always writing on boards :p Have you never seen a Gigabyte in the last two years?

All black = boring :p

Tbh, I'd use OC Genie for an everyday PC because I'm lazy. It's the almost same thing as the "Crazy" mode in Asus RoG BIOS' which we've used before.

I do keep telling MSI to stop using JMicron.

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

[Regarding the overclocking button] "These settings will hold true until the power is removed from the board..."

So what happens for the vast majority of sensible people who are environmentally, (and safety) concious and switch their PC off at the mains at night? They're supposed to unscrew their case's side panel, delve inside their machine and start faffing about with the motherboard? Every time they switch their PC on?

Doesn't seem very novice friendly to me - why not have it remembered until manually switched off? Or at least have the button on the back panel where it's accessible...

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll double check when we come to use it but to be honest, how many of us bother to turn it off at the mains? I just put my PC to sleep because it boots faster.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, I for one have the PC, the monitor and peripherals on an extension cord wit a on-off button for all at once.
    No more standby powerdrain.

And yes, having to physically push a button on the motherboard is a bit silly, just as lighting it is.
    Most people don't have their hardware in a test station on their desk, and most dont even have a window for that matter ;-)

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    My PC gets powered off, UPS turned off and the 6-socket extension turned off.
    So, you save a minute everyday?
    And how much more you pay in electric bills for that privilege (PC+Monitor(s)+Speakers+Router+...)?
    That would be good for a BitTech article.

If that overclocking "feature" depends on the mains it is useless. Maybe it depends on the MB battery.

9. francois

francois What's a Dremel?

I know my Gigabyte EP45-DS3P double boots after I've removed the mains power , the board resets itself first then boots again with the FSB and CPU overclocked.

Thought this was typical behaviour , for Intel boards at least.

10. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Nice pics.

But what we really want to know would be price. Even an educated guess would be appreciated.

11. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I would say, it depends. For me, those 1 minute you say, could easily means 15 minutes (or more) because I usually have a lot of softwares opened at the same time, not to mention that I usually browse the internet with 40+ Opera windows so I don't really like to reopen all of those windows everyday, because each time, I will have to wait for Opera to finish reloading all the caches and page updates and with my 256 kbps connection, it is not something you really like to do everyday, believe me :p So I usually just let it goes to sleep (in STR state) instead of switching it off.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

lol I've never understood that line, it can't possibly take that long, I'm on a crappy IDE HDD and both XP and ubuntu 9.04 boot in under 30 seconds (around 20 for ubuntu :)), surely vista can't be that bad on a SATA?

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    And those websites you visit dont get updated while the PC is sleeping?

14. John_T

John_T Minimodder

OK, this has taken an intersting side-step...

Firstly, Bindibadgi, I can't believe you just set your PC to standby and don't even shutdown let alone switch off at the plug - that's MASSIVELY wasteful! Standby is for lunch-hours or long meetings, not for 15-odd hours a day.

Like Xir and impar, I, and pretty much everyone I know, switch off from the plug.

Just to see how wasteful it is I just powered my PC down & plugged in one of those energy testing devices into the wall socket. My PC, running in idle, burnt 149 watts. I put it in standby mode & it only went down to 118. Now, I appreciate the PC I'm testing it on is a few years old & running XP, so maybe other machines are more effiecient in standby mode, but I doubt if it's that much.

If I did what you did with this PC, assuming working hours from 8am to 6pm, (ignoring days off & such) that's 14 hours wasted on a weekday, 24 at the weekend.
    14 hours x 5 days x 52 weeks x 118 watts = 429.5 kilowatt hours (approx)
    24 hours x 2 days x 52 weeks x 118 watts = 294.5 kilowatt hours (approx)

That's an absolute minimum total of 724 kilowatt hours, (ignoring holidays etc) burnt for simply for not bothering to bend down and flick a switch, or not wanting to wait 60 seconds for a PC to boot.

Ignoring the cost, (724 kilowatt hours at an aggregated average of 3p each is £21.72 a year - pretty much double if you do the same with both home and work PC's) imagine if everyone in the country did that: How many extra coal-fired power stations need to be up and running just for sixty million people not being arsed to flick the 'off' switch?

I'm not some 'tree-hugger' type eco-mentalist not wanting people to use energy, but just burning it while not even using it 'because you can' is a pretty crass attitude...

(As for 'needing' 40+ webpages running at all times, well, best I don't go there probably...)

15. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Apologies for the atrocious spelling by the way, so keen to post I didn't proof read it! (I meant: 'interesting' & 'efficient')

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

At least two of us, apparently. I don't find it sensible to waste all that power for about 1 minute saved each day either. I just go to the kitchen to grab a drink while this beast comes alive when i don't have the patience to sit through the boot process..

17. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Just putting this out there, if you turn your average TV off at the wall so that the standby light turns off after use, in a year you will save enough power to successfully turn the TV on again, once, big woop. As long as you have decent power grids and maintenance in your house turning off an electrical appliance at the wall after use will save very little power at all. Then again, if you have a lot of power leakage due to living in an old house or just having crappy connections, it may save you a bit. I can safely say that our TV uses more power than my PC anyway, the 50" Plasma draws 500w constant when turned on lol.

Ok, now to the mobo. I like MSI, I brought the 650i Platinum board when I built my brothers PC a few years back and have had absolutely nothing go wrong, it allowed me to push his E6600 to 3GHz and I have had no stability or quality issues at all. I'm liking the layout and colours on this board, will be good to see how it performs.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's what the edit button is there for. :wallbash:

The internet is static, didn't you know?

Same here with my P5B-E.

Me too.

This looks awful though! A very clean board color-wise and then that fugly writing! :duh:

I don't think so but each to his/her own, eh?
    No that I come to think about it: There was a Sapphire board that was completely white with red connectors... that was awesome!

I set my BIOS up once and it runs at these setting all the time, couldn't get much more efficient than that. If I'd use OCG I'd have to open my case every time I turn the computer on to press a stupid button. :eyebrow:

19. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Why are the words Super Pipe written under the first PCI-E slot? That writing is just ugly what person thought that putting 'super pipe' will make anyone buy it over another similar board?

20. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Am i the only one here that doesnt switch off the pc even if it doing nothing?! and before anyone says anything yes i pay the electricity bill and no its not expensive, 4 bed house, newborn baby and my electric bills a touch over £50 a quarter. The only thing in my house thats switched off at the plug is the TV downstairs when i go to bed.

cant wait for a proper review, I think i might be upgrading once theres some reviews/benchmarks to look at :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags