1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First project - Ocean/Coral sea theme (need name)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DeadTeddy, 6 May 2004.

1. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, then I dunno how my friend did it. Sorry. :sigh:

2. e_fractal

e_fractal What's a Dremel?

I like ReikoX's idea. You could even build a small plexi box on the bottom (false floor) which could act as a tank reservoir :) Just put your sand material under the box and maybe glue the seashells inside plexi?

Lots of work, just dreaming :D

edit: Dont fill the box all the way and figure out how to make waves!

3. DeadTeddy

DeadTeddy What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of actually using it as a res for a water cooling system, but I doubt sand will be healthy for the pump, radiator and the sort, unless I can find a filter of some sort. water cooling is a bit too expensive for me anyway, and considering the fact I have generic DDR266 I won't be maxing out my CPU cooler any time soon.

4. DeadTeddy

my CPU died on me (tip: don't apply your brand new AS5 thermal paste when you're very tired in the middle of the night after a history final) which means I will probably have no PC for 2 weeks now. this is actually good news for my modding since I won't be so hesitant to take it apart and risk being bored for days, as it won't work anyway.

first, I took out the :dremel: and got rid of all the drive bays except for one 5.25" and one 3.5" cause I don't have any other dirves. they will be mounted horizontaly on the right side of the case.

I bought some primer and light blue paint (no sea green in this town :rolleyes: ) and my PSU is the victim for all the tests.

speaking of the PSU, I decided to have some fun, so I took out my spare 300W and made some changes. I left one molex connector for all the fans, electronics and whatever. the other braid has 2 connectors for my DVD and HDD, and it was shortened so I have about 5 spare cm. all wires will be sleeved blue, ATX already was but the rest are waiting for a new CPU cause my electronics shopping list is on my PC and the HS is part of it :/
    I'm also replacing the fan and grill with a crystal clear fan (comes with grill)

my 3 LED fans and the rounded ATA cables arrived, but one fan's broken. I glued a coin on the middle to fix it, but it vibrates a little so I'm selling it to a friend who doesn't care.

a friend offered to lend me his digicam but there's no point since I can't upload them until I get a new CPU. there is a 95% chance I'll have pics uploaded by the end of the month.

5. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

Bummer

Sorry about the CPU. The dangers of modding. Hope it doesn't delay progress too much. I'm looking forward to seeing this case complete. I think you have a lot of potential with this project. You should still get the digicam if you can. Don't worry about uploading them until you get your machine back up just do a BIG update with lots of pics :thumb:

6. DeadTeddy

it's been what, 10 months? well I'm back. a few days after my last post finals were over, and suddenly all my friends had time to party, didn't need to go to bed before 8 am (yeah, am) and had cars (parents don't need the car after midnight usually). with school over and the army getting closer and closer, we went out pretty much every night. going out doesn't necesseraly mean pub, could just be the beach or someone's house. basiclly, I suddenly got a life.

after I moved, I worked shifts in a gas station and my boss was kind enough to arrange them so that my free days come in groups of at least 2 allowing me to take the 4 hour bus to my home town and join my friends.

well, that's over now, all my friends are in the army (I skipped a grade so I'm younger) and I found a job with normal hours at a research lab rebuilding the computer network. (connecting wires).

anyway, I now have some free time, and I'm tired of hot wiring my PC every time there's a power failure (I usually use the spacebar, but when the power dies, it don't work).

first, some pics I promissed you all:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my inspiration:
    [​IMG]

now that I've fulfilled my old promiss, time for the next bit.
    I'm gonna scrap the entire front panel. I'm not gonna use plexi because I have no tools for it and no experience working with it. instead, I'm gonna use wood. why wood? cause I have built model airplanes for a few years and I have lots of experience with it. it's also easier to work with and I have all the tools I need. and on top of that, it's kinda cheap.

after some thought I figured putting the 20 LED's around the dolphin won't work, there's just not enough room. instead I will create an octopus (anyone who says squid gets shot, they have 10 legs and my dad is a marine biologist so I get annoyed when you insult marine animals) holding 4 legs in the air, 2 on each side. it will be made of thin wood and be attached to the main panel (thick wood). the 4 legs will have 5 small holes each, and in matching positions behind them there will be 5 MM holes for LED's. the eyes will be LED's two, probably red.

as for the side window, I probably won't have time to spice it up because I'm joining the army late july, so instead I'm thinking of printing nice photo and putting it there on invisble paper (whatever you call it). I happen to have found a CD with photos my dad took over 25 years ago in sharem-a-sheik, a place that use to have AMAZING reefs before tourism destroyed it. it's in sinai, and back then sinai was ours. one of those pics is looking through a sort of tunnel formed by the reef. gives a nice effect.

anyway, here's what I plan, my gmail name is deadteddy2 so if you want the .skp file email me:
    l[​IMG]

I really don't know what color to make the squid though. suggestions welcome.

oh, and how's this for a name: "inner ocean"

7. |3|ackAc|D

|3|ackAc|D What's a Dremel?

make it purple or a dark blue like this :hip:

8. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

MMMMMMmmmmmm danish carlsberg pilsner :D :hip:

9. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

Carlsberg = yummy :D

The squid.. dunno your theme is blue/black/gray? So mayb blue would be nice?

Keep up the modding :rock:

10. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

lol.. you called it an octopus, threatened anyone who called it a squid, explained the difference, THEN went and called it a squid yourself...

Too funny!

I like the sea theme a lot, nice idea.

luvbug

11. Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary What's a Dremel?

Pretty cool, can't wait till its finished

12. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

wow thats been a lonnnngg time with no update

anyways u should call it

WET DREAMS!

or wet dreamer

13. Cowcharge

Cowcharge What's a Dremel?

Hey, if you want sand in your reservoir, just sculpt the sand, shells, treasure chest (you HAVE to have a treasure chest, it's the law) then pour a bunch of envirotex lite (http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm) over it to seal it. That would allow you to fill it up with water and make the envirotex resin invisible, and the sand would never move... You could even weight some small plastic fish to give them neutral buoyancy so they'd "swim" around in the current! Maybe use clear tubing (invisible under water) to direct the current where you wanted to keep the fish out of the inlet... with a little planning, you could even make invisible lexan ceilings and walls to guide the fish wherever you want...

And for anyone who needs a custom paint or resin color... Go to the hardware store with a couple of baby food jars and ask to buy some paint tint. I used it to tint envirotex for a game I made with fake water in it. Two dozen drops of blue and yellow in the resin (a lot of resin, the game is bigger than backgammon and the water's 1 1/2" deep, not much tint needed) gave me a nice Caribbean blue-green. Cost me a couple of bucks per jar and I hardly used any.

14. Cowcharge

Cowcharge What's a Dremel?

Or, how 'bout this for the side window? A double plexi window, shells and sand at the bottom, two liquids in between the plexi like one of those wave toys? Oil and water? Water on the bottom, tinted, clear oil on top, makes it wave in slow motion, looks very realistic... Could be combined with the above mentioned envirotex/sand combo...