1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Froyo a go go for Desire!

Discussion in 'General' started by Matticus, 2 Aug 2010.

1. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Had to update mine this weekend, as it started spamming me with an update i couldn't install (i'm guessing due to the custom bootloader i have installed)

I can't remember exactly which ROM i installed from, but was very similar to the one i just installed to: essentially a stock ROM with the superuser app and A2SD+ installed
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741663

Was a slightly more annoying upgrade, as a simple ROM update got the phone stuck in a boot-failiure loop.
    Had to backup from titanium backup, format the phone, flash the new OS then restore system data + user apps from titanium (restoring the data/sd-ext partitions from nandroid caused the boot-failure loop again). As i still have the free version of titanium backup, individually clicking 'ok' to re-install ~75 apps got old quick :D*

Still, works lovely again now :)
    Hopefully the undervolting/CPU scalar on this ROM will improve battery life also

*Wow this paragraph is so geeky, this is the main reason why i would never consider an iphone, i like tinkering with things :)

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

The 2.2 update is now rolling out for Orange branded Desires, if you aren't offered the update when you 'check for updates' then give it a few hours and try again.

Apparently the demos and crap are still there but GTalk seems to have been put back in, and the wi-fi hotspot ability is still included.

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have been trying all day to get the update, but without any luck. But as alastor says and from what I have heard all they have done is not added any new bloatware, and apparently we should be happy about this, so its probably not worth the effort.

They obviously haven't learned a thing. I guess my desire will be rooted on the weekend and I will never be taking out a contract with Orange again, I have had far too many issues with them and the only reason I renewed was because I got offered a brilliant contract and really wanted the Desire. It has put me off HTC as well, if they don't have the balls to say no to Orange and keep it as is then they aren't selling any phones to me.

Apple just told the networks to bugger off, so why couldn't HTC!

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Just updating to 2.2 now.

I had to wait for an update to be released by HTC before I could get 2.2 on Orange as I was one of the first to get it.

I will see what I think about it, it may be getting rooted tomorrow if this isn't good enough.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

Still all the same demos and "trafficTV" still all the same orange apps, no more orange homescreen or selector. Talk is back.

So to summarise...Fail!

Last edited: 2 Oct 2010
  6. Addie

Addie What's a Dremel?

O2's finally rolled out froyo, taken them long enough.

7. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

As I said people, this is why you need to root your desires. Carriers take far to long...and worse yet, brand the rom with their rubbish.

Whole point of android, do it your way.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am looking at rooting now. Any suggested roms? Also is there a chance that the phone gets sim locked and I have to buy an unlock code when rooting.

I guess most rooted roms flash another radio, and that seems to be what triggers the simlock when you debrand using goldcard/ruu.

I have found this guide, which looked good but it doesn't answer my questions from above and the most recently comments are from people already running Froyo and it no longer appears to work properly.

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

There's a good guide by Paul over at Modaco who discovered the root method, the MCR ROMs he makes are available in that forum as well which are pretty decent, close to stock if that's what you're after.

It is indeed the radio ROM that triggers the SIMlock on Orange Desires, some people have had success with going straight to the radio that came with the first FroYo update though. To be honest you're better off just trying it and seeing, unlock codes can be had on ebay for ~£7. Or ask at Modaco or xda :thumb: