1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G80: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Nov 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, and if I saw it I'd probably be impressed, but on close inspection of the pictures parts are dissapointing to me. The skin is still far too plasticy, it has that doom3 shimmer on it that just shouldn't be there. The perfect complexion is understandable given it's a showcase, but I doubt we're going to see the capability to have real complexions on people which is dissapointing. The skin all looks too blurry, as if they've done that to get the blend of colours right, but it's just lead to something that looks in some respects illdefined. Lastly, the hair still looks like it's being done in clumps. If you look at the third pic, the hair coming down in front of her ear looks like it's being done in defined strands of two, and looks almost as if they've just repeated the same bit of wispy hair texture in some different directions.

I do think this is a step forward, it's just not as much of a leap as I'd been hoping for.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Just to point out though, the actual size of the images:

Also Adrianne Curry is a playboy model.

3. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

the power which it consumes is incredible, it would almost certainly take my Corridor of my Halls, cos last time i tripped it i only took 800w, from the wall. and it tripped out...

Lucky my rig only needs 600w

4. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I agree, however, i think the images are jpeg, so theres a slight loss there, but still, the skin looks plastic

Then again, maybe she has grease issues :hehe:

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Wow...

It took me almost 2 days to read (and understand) the review. Execelent job. A real thought-out repport about all the new stuff these cards have to offer. Cant wait to see some real dx10 games getting testen. Dx9 game performance is nice but a next gen card needs a next gen game to be sure. ;)

6. Kevin_G

Kevin_G What's a Dremel?

DirectX 10 changes a lot of things behind the scenes as the API was starting to be a bottleneck. It mandates more features as standard and introduces the geometry shader. Nothing was introduced to improve image quality as everything done in DirectX 10 can be done in DirectX 9. DirectX 10 is about bringing about high quality images faster in games and easier to create for developers.

7. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

i wonder if theyll make an 8950GX2 *creams* now that would be something, and with 3xPCI-16 as the new boards will supposedly have, you could have sex(tuple)-core ;) no doubt youd need like a 2K power supply but heck =P

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

That's true, but the benefit of being a faster API means you can add more detail to scenes and get the same frame rate, which will ultimately mean more detailed games and a more believable image quality.

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Are you not able to test this card with Windows Vista + DirectX10 Tim? Or are there no drivers available for this card for Vista? Or is DirectX10 not available for Vista yet? Or maybe there are no applications that use DirectX10 that you can test with?

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

There are no DirectX 10 games yet, Vista is not final, neither are the DX10 libraries. I don't think there's a driver yet either.

However, that's not to say that we won't be testing GeForce 8800-series again once some DirectX 10 games come out, and Vista/DX10 are final and shipping to customers. The thing we're trying to highlight here is that even with DirectX 9, this card simply kicks ass and based on the fact that Nvidia and Microsoft have been working together since almost the start of DX10 (and the fact that there are no cap bits in the DX10 specification), I believe it'll be a good DirectX 10 performer too.

It just wouldn't make sense for Nvidia to take so many risks with an architecture, only for it to be such a poor performer. The days of GeForce FX are gone and I think Nvidia learned a lot from that era. :)

11. DrewBear11

DrewBear11 What's a Dremel?

Just wondering, is there really any point in this card for games such as wow, hl2 css dods, bf2142 etc @ 1280 X 1024.

Im looking to build a new system soon, and just wondering.

I mean, surely with features like HDR + AA with hl2, dods, css etc, i will see the benefit of such a powerful card...

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

At 1280x1024, you'll be able to run everything at 16xQ AA with maximum details (providing the app works fine with CSAA) - it'll give a fantastic experience, but personally I think the real benefits show up at the higher resolutions, hence why we came to the decision to say that you're better with a 24" - 30" widescreen. :)

I've been using a GTS at home over the weekend, and I can't help but feel I need a bigger monitor (I run 2x 17" TFT's) to really get the most out of it. I'm already considering buying a 24" Dell or a Samsung 215TW so that there's more resolution to play with. :)

13. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

certainly no point with source games.. i could max out hl2 completely on a x1800xt 256mb using a 17" 1280x1024 monitor.

14. DrewBear11

DrewBear11 What's a Dremel?

Alright cheers guys...

........... buys lottery ticket..

15. [1N0V471V]

[1N0V471V] What's a Dremel?

I was wondering, does the chip which is basically the RAMDAC need to be cooled with a heatsink?

I'm planning on getting a GTS and currently have a chrome Danger Den Maze4 that I just bought a month ago.

Of course I'll call DD and ask their opinion on it, as well.

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well..

if it has a heatsink it will proberly need a heatsink i guess

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

18. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

Tim, just like to say thanks for the case advice, couldnt quite aford the 830 but got the older 810 or what ever it is :) bags of rooom. and its not too big to go on the desk so all's good.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

no problem :thumb:

20. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I too was wondering why it needs cooling, but what else does this RAMDAC do that previous ones don't?

Tags: Add Tags