1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gears of War 3 to feature Casual Mode in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

This is a good idea that is obviously aimed that gamers that are fairly new to online gaming in general to help them get a feel for it and their first foot on the ladder. I would have appreciated a system like this when I first played a game online (I think it was CoD1) as it was a rough, un enjoyable learning curve for me that I only stuck through because a good friend was insistent I would grow to love online gaming.

He was right, but I did very nearly think 'to hell with this'.

Having it automatically lock out players that have any previous gears game achievements is a good move.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Pretty much. I think its a great idea. Maybe even more aids could be implemented.
    I dont see what people have against it..

3. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

This. Shame more games don't do it.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

That's because you're dumb :)

Or lazy?

I don't know which. How about making GOW on rails with auto fire? Then you just sit and watch but you have to hold the fire button down or else you're deaded.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2011
  5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Because making games easy detracts from the experience?

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

LOL :)

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

GoW: Pre-school edition.

Seriously, though. As if Gears - or any console game - wasn't casual enough already. What a joke.

As for elitism....sure, I'll take that on the chin..what's the point of being superior if you can't brag about it :p

8. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

No idea why people are pissy about that, given that Gears is only hard on the last difficulty more people will play on that, and then people who will never get it complain about it, let the casuals have their auto aim as long as it remains off on harder difficulties and multiplayer.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

By "off" you mean "less pronounced", I assume....

10. beepdoot

beepdoot What's a Dremel?

Yup, snobbery all the way. Console gaming is utter fail. Do you think this latest design addition has something to do with the analog sticks? The fact you're supposed to be doing "precise aiming" with them is beyond a joke. I'd have better accuracy rolling my head over my mouse.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Do console games allow you to -completely- turn off auto-aim? I was under the impression there always had to be some 'help' as a pad is pathetic when compared to the accuracy of a mouse.

Was that elitist enough? It must have been, because it was true.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Something that confuses me a bit, how does this make things particularly easier in a multiplayer environment? So you've got auto-aim, easier right? Well, now all of your opponents have auto aim. In a multiplayer setting it's not really an "easier" difficult setting such as with singleplayer, it's simply a more accessible control scheme for new players which seems reasonable enough, particularly given the requirements to even play this mode.

On the flip side, singleplayer difficulty settings will always be a touchy subject. Not everyone is good at video games, just like not everyone is good at sports, or driving, etc. That doesn't mean they don't have fun playing easier games and doesn't mean that developers should ignore them, there's a need for casual games. What developers don't seem to understand, however, is that sequels aren't the place to implement changes to help casual players. It hurts the fans for the sake of increasing the number of players, i.e. sales.

13. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

You seem to not realise the mode is meant to aid new players who would like to try multiplayer but don't want to get absolutely destroyed. Seems pretty reasonable to me. keep the new players playing together until they feel confident to play in the normal modes. It saves frustration with both newbies and regulars.

Depends on the individual.

Because it shows how massive of an asshole you are. what ever happened to being humble?

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I'll be humble the day the console gamers of the world admit they're on an inferior platform with an inferior control system playing inferior games :)

Deal?

15. alf-

alf- Minimodder

so much rage at an option designed for a minority of players, and which there is no requirement to use.

as for aim assist, no big deal, either don't play games that use it, or just avoid consoles, or a third option, if you're an sad ******* with nothing better to do, go onto forums and cry about it.

and i was thinking, how many pc gamers use dedicated gaming keyboards, mice, headsets, sound card etc to gain an advantage when playing pc games?
    not to mention some people seem to be under the impression that pc games don't make things easier for the player, which is bollocks, pc FPS games may not have wide speed aim assist like consoles, but they certainty have other forms of players assists.

16. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

Certain console games allow you to turn it off completely, so yea. Also that wasn't elitist, that was true, I agree the mouse + keyboard are better (for the most part), however certain games you obviously cannot play on a PC, and if you're a gamer and you chose to game PC only, it really narrows down your library. (I'm not saying there isn't amazing PC titles, because there is, but console exclusive titles do exist and most of them are quite good)

Also if you were basing games on being "casual" based on difficulty, that would put Demon Soul's (PS3 exclusive) far above almost anything on PC :/ Broken logic is broken.

17. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

I must say, you give pc gamers a bad name. You're the equivalent of those "console kiddies".

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes there are PC games that try to assist you in as much as they can. Those games are usually regarded as crap. I remember a certain driving game called FUEL where they "innovated" it so much it was just a pile of crap. It had so many driving aids.

PC gamers want good hardware but that has nothing to do with auto aiming. PC gamers want the aiming to be down to their skills not some auto-assist crap. Having an expensive gaming keyboard, surround audio, 3d monitor, laser mouse doesn't make you a cheat like auto aim does. Such hardware in the hands of a console player would be wasted because they'd be crap if they're used to auto aim and crappy joypads. So a PC gamer might have expensive gaming hardware/peripherals but underneath all that should be the skill required to aim quickly and precisely using a mouse.

19. alf-

alf- Minimodder

basically all FPS games have player assists, regardless of platform.

plenty of FPS games, including the current best sellers (BF2, COD) have regenerative health, you get shot a few times? no bug deal you hide for a few seconds and you magically have full health again, even games taht have health bars give you superhuman resistance to death, this is a player assist.

plenty of FPS games, once again including the best sellers, give you superhuman aiming ability, compare shooting a gun in real life to games and differences are gigantic, once again this is a player assist.

next time you get a head shot playing a pc game, remember you would never of got it if the game didn't make it easier for you.

20. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Depends on the game and whether you are playing online or off. Also, it depends on what you mean by auto-aim. What you are refering to (I think) is the aim-assist that all players will usually have online. This is something that you usually can't 'turn off' per se - its built into the online experience for everyone. Its a necessary consequence of the sticks being inherently less precise than a mouse, but because its built into the aiming for everyone you hardly notice its there (and it serves its purpose extremely well).

Its basically like a very slight pull towards an enemy person when you are aiming down the sights, so if you was in front of me and I moved my crosshairs across the screen, it would slow the crosshairs down very slightly as they moved over your character. Its really well implemented, though, so there is still a massive skill level between good and bad players, ie just because it has this slight target assist doesnt mean everyone can shoot like a trained marksman (theres people with good aim and crap aim, just like on a pc). And also, it means that some players can develop aiming that is comparable to pc users, because of how well devs have made up for the analogues sticks imprecisions.

However, this is completely different from the auto-aim feature found in the singleplayer of some FPS games, because what that does is lock on to the nearest enemy target as soon as you aim down the sights (at least in cod), which is annoying as crap and why most turn it off. This is completely different from the inbuilt type of aim-assist found in the multiplayer aspect of the game (Im referring mainly to Cod here, but it generalises for most FPS games found on consoles).

Tags: Add Tags