1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Those are my thoughts on the matter too. I find it impossible to relate to the kind of person who thinks cheating in a game like BF3 is fun, worthwhile or anything other than an absolute waste of time/energy/electricity/oxygen.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Sharqi is in both Rush and Conquest Assault. Tehran was taken out because people left, i will put it back in now.

3. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Tehran Highway seemed to be a server killer at times. It depends when it appears. if it's early in the night and the server is just starting up it becomes a server killer.

Mid Rotation might be ok, but it's down to the randoms that join. I know that we CPC guys will stick with the server till it becomes a CPC only affair or very few of us online.

Then we invade other servers for ass kickery or just some fun!

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's why it wasn't in the rotation.

now we've got map voting, so vote to your heart's content :D

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I quite like TH.

Annoyances today mainly revolved around:
    1: Disconnects (near the end of rounds when I've being doing pretty well of course)

2: Repeatedly getting into tanks driven by numptees who either keep getting stuck, drive off when I'm trying to repair, get out when I'm repairing so I don't get points, use smoke when I'm on CITV because they think they've been locked on to or, and most annoying of all, steal my tank if I've been driving because I've got out to repair it.

Grrr.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very nice, I have 20 right now. I should have a few more by the end of the weekend

7. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Great tour of the {ATF} 64 player conquest server tonight guys; I think we won more than 20 rounds in a row thanks to most of CPC being on the one side. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  8. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

That's an awesome run. I wish I could get on even just a squad that can communicate together effectively and actually perform larger strategy operations than just me alone :(. An entire team organized into an efficient killing machine would be like a dream to me ^^;

For now... I just have to be content with epic dogfights in the air T_T (I'd love to vs someone who could shoot me down 1v1, but I've had to do 2v1 most of the time since most people in jets aren't that good...).

9. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Ok, a question for you then:

How do you get out of one of those endless circle-jerks which I seem to end up in so often? Do you simply out-turn the other pilot using brake turning or what?

For me I can easily hold my own against most pilots but as soon as I come up against a pilot who can turn as well as me we usually just circle for about 5 minutes then I got bored and try to escape and end up getting shot down.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's the problem, sometimes a bit of moving about and the odd afterburner burst can jostle things up.

Most of the time though I've found a 2nd jet comes into play on either side or I just get fed up and try and hit something on the ground before ejecting.

11. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

It depends on the circumstances. Of course one option (especially if they're not THAT good at turning) is to try and out turn them. What I've found works best is to alternate between full brake and full boost. As I've flown, I've gotten used to gauging the optimal turn rate/radius of the jet based on how quickly the background is moving on my screen. When you're turning, full brake gives you the smallest turning radius, but the worst turn rate (you go around a small circle really slowly) while boosting gives you the best turn rate, but the worst turn radius (you go around a big circle quickly). However, if you're going at a moderate speed in a turn and hit full brake, there will be a few seconds of time where you're moving in a pretty small radius at a very fast speed (your nose basically whips around). The trick to using this as a turning maneuver is being able to tell when you've lost that whip moment then boost to gain a bit more speed and start another whip-around.

If you really can't out turn the person, then you have a few more options. This is where the air radar is indispensable because you'll need to keep track of where the enemy is. One of the easiest things to do would be to change your turning plane (not your jet, the plane in x-y-z space that you're turning on). This does not mean go into a loop, rather angle your jet up a bit so you gain some altitude (can also angle down first to get some speed and use that in the upward part of the turn). If you're lucky or you time it right so that you're in the enemy's blind spot, the enemy jet won't notice and you'll have broken the loop with a height advantage over him, and all you need to do is use sight or your air radar to gauge how you're going to move your jet behind him (this is way to situation dependent to try to explain so you just need to practice it :p).

If that doesn't work and the enemy is still tracking you, you can now probably execute a dive fairly comfortably. The dive will usually either shake the enemy plane or give you enough additional distance to set up a better attack position for yourself (you need to use the air radar to figure this out :p). In the case where the enemy plane follows you perfectly through the dive, you can try to go straight into other maneuvers like a barrel roll (not the star fox kind) or a modified low yo-yo or high yo-yo. The point of all this is to out maneuver the enemy jet since the first person to break the loop usually begins getting tailed, and an endless loop doesn't help your team at all.

Really, the best way to break an endless loop is a combination of good turning, correct maneuvers for the situation, and good, accurate air radar reading which takes time, practice, and patience to master :p. A general rule that I've found works fairly well in 1v1 and 2v1 fights is that the second best position to be in (best position is right behind the enemy) is to maneuver your jet so that you're flying opposite or near opposite directions (basically head on to the jet). You're basically doing one of these and not something like this. This is usually a good position to set up other maneuvers like the yo-yo's I mentioned or other attacks. When you are fighting a jet head on, it's usually best to execute a turn/maneuver in the direction of the jet that passed you (i.e. if it passed you on your right you execute a maneuver/turn to the right).

That's the best advice I can give you :p. The rest is turning better, practicing so you know what to do in different situations, and learning to read the air radar.

12. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

guys, you may remember a little while ago that i came on here to bemoan the support class, then my world view was turned upside down by the m249... Things have changed.

Now i have the m240b and a jeep covered in C4...

A squad of 2 tanks, with 2 gunners and a random engineer supporting on foot. The sweetest Jihad Jeep you have ever seen. I am in love <3

13. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Had a funny moment last night with one of those Jihad jeeps on the ZiiP server. Saw the jeep coming in for the tank I was supporting. Locked on with the Javelin and released. Then saw the missile ark round as the jeep passed it. The missile hit the jeep and I got points for taking out the jeep, all the C4 on it and the two soldiers in the jeep. There was line after line of points.:rock: Unfortunately it also took out the tank and two of team mates in the process.

Epic fail :wallbash:

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Epic fail was what i did yesterday :D. Javelin, acquiring target (a tank). When finally got the target mark, i shot the javelin. Rocket leaves, and i wait, wait, wait. Rocket nowhere. I look above and what i see ? Nice straight line upwards as it should have been - and then it goes behind me, because some bloody pilot released their IR flares maybe 50 meters behind and above me. So the javelin got a new target - the IR flares :D. I literally facepalmed.

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Had something similar on Wake Island yesterday, sitting in my Tunguska, jeep came ramping over a hill towards me, blasted it with the cannons mid-air, close range and it detonated from taking a friendly tank round to the side, the wreckage just landed onto the AAA :D

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

17. nchhabs

THANK THE GODS! :rock:

*"We would also like to inform the community that we have several ongoing developments with regards to balance and gameplay, performance, stability and the overall feature set that will be announced in the coming weeks."

^ Good signs.

18. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

19. nchhabs

Yeah very disappointed it didn't get announced this week. Some EA management said it would be announced at an event in New York but nothing came of it :eyebrow:

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

@Wyx, cheers for mixing in the maps. Don't get why people don't like Tehran. I love the conquest map, not so keen on rush but it's not bad.