1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GFX Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krishan, 23 Nov 2020.

1. krishan

krishan Minimodder

Hi All, I’m looking for a little bit of advice on a new graphics card.

My GTX 780 died back in May and I’ve held off buying a new one instead opting to reinstate my trusty 5870.

With Black Friday round the corner I’m hoping there will be a few deals appearing but I’m not sure what’s best bang for buck.

My budget is around £200, I’ve been having a look and have spotted the GTX 1660 Super at just above that.

My resolution is 2560x1440 and I’ll be looking to play/buy some AAA titles. I don’t imagine I’ll be playing with the graphics turned up but Medium-High would be nice.

What do you think?

Thanks!

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

How do you feel about second hand graphics card? With recent release of high end cards, there could be a lot of people upgrading.

For around £200, you can get a 1070 Ti or 1080, they would give you more performance than 1660super and more suitable 8GB VRAM.

To be honest, with release of new generation top end cards, we'll also see mid range cards getting refreshed. Might be worth waiting, if you can, to Q2 of next year.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. krishan

krishan Minimodder

I wasn’t considering a second hand card but going off the 1070Ti and 1080 prices I might end up going down that avenue. I have a little reluctance getting one off eBay so may see what the community have for sale.

I thought you might suggest waiting, I could wait until then, I haven’t had an opportunity to do any serious gaming recently anyway. I think there’s rumours of another release from nvidia early December so could wait until and see if the prices of the 1080 drop even further but it not I’ll probably wait.

Thanks for your help.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm in the same unenviable situation of needing a graphics card in 2020, the year of uncertainty, sidegrades, disappointment and rising prices. I've decided to just wait. My 670 can still cope with most games on minimum settings.