1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte Responds to LGA1155 Socket Issues

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 20 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Yeah, I can actually believe that. A re-iterated problem from last generation? Incredibly unlikely, it'd be top of the list of things they'd be looking out for.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yeah, urrmm.... because nobody would ever think of overclocking....

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well they are testing what you actually do, and credit to Gigabyte; they realise that if you don't know the limits, you can't push them further or advise people not to do certain things.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Kind of puts this topic to bed now as I didn't even know of the problem with 1156 in the first place. Even if there was, I'm sure it would have been fixed for 1155.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Actually it's a little bit unfair to blame Gigabyte for this kind of stuff, as they're not manufacturing the sockets themselves but Lotes or Foxconn does.

True, Gigabyte needs to make sure that they don't use faulty sockets in their products, but these new sockets intel introduced with the Core-series (because intel wanted to shift the damaged-pin-problems to the mainboard-manufacturers!) can be damaged rather easy in comparison to the old ones which are still used by AMD.

7. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I wouldn't be surprised if they do some other tests beyond overclocking (like with some sort of fake CPU setup that can draw silly amounts of power/voltage). If they are durability testing the mobo they probably wouldn't want the overclockability of the current Intel CPUs to affect whether they can test properly...

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Gigabyte. In fact I'm happy they're stressing these boards to the absolute limit. If it means less failures when they hit the shelves then I'm all for it. But when I read the comments, it sounded like they don't expect people like us to explore the upper limits of boards ourselves.

We've all been there, just a bit more.... a little bit more..... another pinch..... Bang or BSOD!

9. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

"Our testing involves overclocking and other various tests to which no motherboard should normally be exposed"
    I so wanna be a fly on the proverbial wall during those tests!

10. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Bad Gigabyte! Very Bad! Not only do you lack EFI on your 1155 MOBOS but your burning stuff up and selling it. I used Giga Mobos for years but I'm off to ASUS for my 1155 upgrade.

i do like the fact that Giga Q.A. the crap out of their products just don't sale us the toasted ones.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The board in question was given to a reviewer and not sold.

12. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I like the fact that tehy responded so quickly to the potetnial issue - seems lessons have been learned from previous socket issues.

I am using the gigabyte rev1 x58a right now and it's awesome, on every level.

13. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Seems to be a storm in a teacup if the problem hasn't been replicated on boards purchased at retail or other manufacturers boards.

14. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Gigabyte really know how to socket to the man.

..I'll see myself out.

kenco_uk likes this.
  15. kadombing

kadombing What's a Dremel?

I bought p67-ud5 last December and there was something odd regarding the packaging. The inside box that holds the motherboard is slightly ripped, and the anti static plastic is hold closed by a masking tape. Just ordered te CPU, so I haven't tested it yet.

Hopefully it is not a reviewer's tested board or worse, a faulty board..

Tags: Add Tags