1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GlobalFoundries Plans Bumper Spend in 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

if amd held onto global foundries, it wouldnt have massive growth vause there would be no money to grow it.
    If they had loads of cash then it would be good to keep it but they didnt. and still dont.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Didn't we already know this? Slow news day? or was it GF wanted some press after the TSMC news?

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

They're spending a LOT on plants that aren't even online yet. Hope it pays off.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If this means better yields faster they could be in for a win. AMD did the right thing to spin off GF, as greigaitken already said. AMD wouldn't have 5bn+ to spend on improving existing & new fabs.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

the New York plant has been planned a long time ago...
    A new plant cost's about 3.5 Billion so that's not a lot left for the other two.
    Question is how much of this is going into the existing plants in Dresden, and how much is going to be buried in the middle-east sand.

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

If I'm not mistaken, this doesn't count what they're already building in NY. What they're talking about for this year is an expansion to the fab already under construction there. Too bad about the Abu Dhabi fab, though. You'd think it wouldn't be cost-effective...until you take into account that these sorts of jobs are on the backs indentured servants, mostly poor Pakistani and Indian immigrants.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm,

depends on what they're going to manufacture there.
    Are not going to give you the quality needed.
    Chartered failed at reproducing the Athlon/Opteron. Thats when the second Dresden Fab was built.
    They're GF now, but I'll be darned if I know what they produce.
    If Singaporians or Taiwanese can't manufacture something, "indentured servants" can't either.

Edit: Though I'm sure that given time, the Singaporians or Taiwanese will reach at least the manufacturing level of the europe/US fabs.

Tags: Add Tags