1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google lands £130 million UK tax bill

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jan 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What's most annoying (for me) is that TPTB have hailed this as a good deal for the UK public, if this is a good deal I'm a monkeys uncle, they should be hanging their collective heads in shame.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd quite like to pay a tenth of the actual tax I owe, especially as I've just transferred nearly three grand to HMRC just this morning...

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Tell me all about it.

See also Vodafone, of course.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The Gov are more than happy to let large corporations off huge amounts of tax, but fine the small self-assessed sole traders for being a day late on their returns.

Guess it's a good thing to keep these big companies sweet when your mates/family are going to line you up a seat on their board once you stop being an MP...

6. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

This blatant big corporation bumlicking by politicians really does boil my piss.
    Absolutely shameful.
    The billion or so pounds that Google rightly owes the British Taxman, would be sufficient to employ extra health care staff and maintain drastically needed frontline services in many ,many towns and cities.
    Tory scum, Tory scam.

7. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Yes it's horrible, but don't just blame the Tories. Every government for the past 20 years has been in on it.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Indeed, as a percentage HMRC estimates the amount of uncollected tax has actually been falling, although I'm not sure how much faith to put on their estimates going on Google's TAX bill.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I wonder how much the six year investigation cost.

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Google have been stalling over building their new £500m HQ at the Kings Cross redevelopment in central London.

..it will be interesting to see if this now suddenly goes ahead without further delay.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I can't help but wonder if the jobs that multinationals provide are worth more either politically or financially to governments than the tax they should pay.

12. DC74

DC74 Doh!

Yeah with a Chancellor like ours saying £130 Million is a good deal when they actually owe the UK Billions in back taxes plus interest, it makes me wonder if he is any good at maths. Clearly there must be family members with shares in them or something that's making him back off. Same old Tories back handers here and there so they turn a blind eye, meanwhile the economy is on a knife edge and the country's debt increases, shame on them for letting Google get away with it.

Why not simply pass a law that states any country doing business in the UK is liable to pay UK business rates, no if's or buts or wily creative accountants finding loopholes.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Probably because it's a fine line between getting these companies to pay some tax vs keeping the tax low enough to get them to actually stay and provide jobs.

I'm pretty sure Google could just sack everyone in their UK branch and set up an office in a country with a more preferential tax scheme if they wanted to.

14. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well, he's being pulled up by the EU commission to explain himself.

Odds on he comes up with some ******** answer pertaining to Britain's future within the EU, trying to deflect the subject.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Who he, do you mean the PM or Gideon?

16. thom804

thom804 Minimodder