1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 15 Aug 2011.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

It's clear that this purchase is primarily to use Motorola's patents to protect Android from the onslaught of lawsuits that are flying around these days, rather than to turn Google into a hardware manufacturer.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

its alot of money for a dieing brand i dont know anybody with a motorola mobile nor can i remember there last great phone if they have made one in a long time.

Not sure what google intend to do they already tried to make there own phone it didnt sell well and this was before the iphone became the popularity it is today.

and were does this leave andriod as it is currently free to basically anyone you can get the source code off the internet and put it on any phone with a bit of technical know how including the iphone, Will you still be able to do this or will the technology finally become locked.

As for weather google will challange apple cause they can now make there own phone i think all it will do is split the andriod market you will have the motorola / google phone with the latest version of honeycomb and then you will have samsung with a version thats behind it and i dont think the manufactures will stand for it they will want the same version on every phone.

Thats andriods biggest issue right now than if you go to another phone you may lose features that you already have due to different honeycomb versions.

4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Sure, whatever.

As long as they kill Motoblur and impose some quality on Motorola.

Reason you don't see them a lot is because Motorola doesn't care much about the .eur market. They're popular in America. Also, your post is rape of the English language. fyi

5. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Google is turning more and more into a scary big monopoly. I wouldn't be surprised if they're soon trying to buy OMAP (ARM license) to get even more foothold in hardware. There was rumors started a few weeks back, that TI is looking into selling OMAP, so this isn't oo far fetched imho.

This doesn't look all that good imho.

7. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Must be a UK thing. I know a ton of people with Moto phones here in the USA.
    Heck im still rocking the Moto Droid 1

8. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

9. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Apple microsoft are worried about the huge rise in popularity of android handsets and are out on a patent war at the minute, samsung being a prime example. Google buying moto secures a lot of parents which will help to secure android and other manufacturers in the future.
    Personally I am more concerned about the apple monopoly than googles. But that's just me.

10. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

11. FatherTime

FatherTime What's a Dremel?

I cant believe they will try to close their system; its the one thing positively differentiating them form Apple. From a marketing point of view, they surely couldnt do it and keep credibility. They would turn into a company that is like Apple but not as good as Apple at being Apple, ie second best.

The original article talks about Google being able to compete directly with Apple, again to be honest I hope not. Apple allows its absolute control of the hardware to optimise it's software/hardware compination (like their video decoding [says I repeating something I read on this site or in the mag a little while ago]). Google trying to do that would make some seriously grumpy faces in their hardware partner's offices.

Google has position as the opposite of Apple. Both business models have their merrits for the consumer, neither is right or wrong. Vive la difference!

12. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Motorola phones take forever to ship to the UK, and finding xooms was nigh on impossible. Our version of the droid took about half a year, and I don't think I've seen any other forms of motorola smart phones here.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The reason for that is the total incompetence and stupidity of Motorola Europe, not Motorola in general.

14. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

I politely disagree good sir, droid 3 is probably the best / own of the best phone out
    nice camera, nice build quality, nice keyboard ( rectifies the droid and the droid 2 keyboard. big ass screen without being too big and the latest os

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Aug 2011
  15. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

16. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

well with this, other than patents, google will be able to make phones like Apple. This will be a massive battle of the brands bigger than it is now.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

+1 to both posts. Switching to hardware manufacturing would be a pretty large shift in Google's focus. The impact on Motorola Mobility will likely be negligible, just a change of names higher up.

It's just a phone, let's be civil. :eyebrow:

18. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

'Place your bets please'

19. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Barf. If I wanted an iphone id buy one. I dont want one so I got an Android phone instead.

20. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

It's a just another (big) step in the ongoing patent wars.

While M$ and Apple thought they were being clever buying up the Nortel patent library, Google were negotiating patents and manufacturing IP. US authorities are already questioning to what use those Nortel patents will be put to.

Meanwhile, Apple appear to have been putting Photoshop to some use...
    http://semiaccurate.com/2011/08/15/did-apple-photoshop-into-an-injunction-against-samsung/

...naughty, naughty!