1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Guantanamo game cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

While I can't really condone any game based on Gitmo, this is just another win for the Daily Mail reading, knee-jerk reactionaries. God forbid that anyone should have an opinion of their own that they didn't read in a tabloid.

Sorry. Rant over :p

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

It's kind of sad that the world is so uptight. You can't even take a **** without having approval in your own home anymore. It was a tasteless idea but people should have the right to make whatever they want.

4. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

All they had to do was make a game based on a guy who got incarcerated in a prison by mistaken identity.

There ya go, a game concept that doesn't offend anyone. Unfortunately T-Enterprise decided to make a load of references to guant' and the british guy who managed to get caught doing something 'suspicious' ... lets face it, he wasn't detained while reading a book in a library.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

To be honest, if it was a game about scientific experiments being made on unwilling test subjects in a mercenary run prison.... why on earth make the prison Guantanamo? Surely they could have used any old prison and it would have made no difference to the game.

Clearly the only reason they used Guantanamo was, on the optimistic side, the negative conotations the place had to aid atmosphere (e.g. like Stalker using Chenobyl), or on the extreme pessemistic side, pure publicity stunt.

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

What are the odds that the vast majority of people who jumped on the complaining bandwagon would have never played the game had it been released?

I bet they would never have even heard of it had some reporter not wanted to take a cheap shot and get known.

7. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Awwww did they hurt someones feelings? That is a load of bull. They can make games about wars where thousands of people died but not one about Gitmo? I can see it now - "Sim Gitmo! Incarcerate and torture inmates at the click of a mouse!" I mean, could it be any worse than Manhunt? GTA? Seriously you can kill a hooker, cap tons of cops and kill a bunch of US army soldiers in less than 5 minutes! People are too soft......

8. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I'd play that.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I don't think they should have ever made plans for the game in the first place and I can't see what the Guamtanamo elelments brings to it.

I'm still a bit sad that all that effort went to waste and it's possible that they may have actually had a decent game on their hands.

+1

10. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

They were making a political statement.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, but he wasn't charged with any offense either, despite the considerable evidence that was quoted against him.

Publicity, anyone? It works.

12. dec

dec [blank space]

Didnt someone try to develop a Iraq war or war on terror game? I know theres a flash version of a war on terror game. Regardless renaming the prison would take away from the public backlash. Like WWII if they wait around 60 years or so it'll be completely ok to make this game.

*listens to the silence of the people that would have complained about a WWII game in 1950*

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

This is why I hate "the public"....

14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Knew this would amount to nowt. The developer isn't even a real developer, it just makes shitty flash games. I would bet this would have been similar. Any dev that is so poor it raises money from the sort of person they did wasn't going to make anything special. It was a political stunt, nothing more.

I predict the next story we hear about T-Enterprise, is it going out of business.

Tags: Add Tags