1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Halo 3: ODST Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 22 Sep 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Personally, the main problem with the story was its independence - there's no sense of connection between the events on New Mombasa those of the other three games.

3. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

True story: we have one of those in the bit-tech offices too

ROFL

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I can't help but think that if any of the Halos were originally made for the PC, nobody would even know about them :) Nothing special about the whole series, IMO.

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I agree, I have never thought of it as a great game, the PC version of the original Halo played so much better though lol.

6. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

Halo 1 was epic, it all went a bit downhill from there.

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I actually quite like the sound of the way the firefight thing mixes it up. Still, unless it ends up in a bargain bin somewhere, chances are I'm not going to buy it, i have halo 3 (got free from a friend) so if i ever have the desire to play a halo game, i already can (they are basically all identical anyways)

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if you'd never played an FPS before maybe, which is why when it entered the pc market it got tore to shreds and laughed at.

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Halo was supposed to be for the PC but it took such a long time to make that Microsoft had created the Xbox and bought out Bungie before it got released.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Still, for an X-box game it's fun.

11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

What's with all the negative comments? I think it's an excellent game, fair enough I'm only on the 4th level but it feels a lot smoother and better to control than halo 3, the graphics have been improved thank god, the whole game has a darker sense to it than the usual Halo sense of run in and kill everything you'll be fine. While the maps may be quite small you do get a sense of having to explore to find your goal (if you don't use the map marker), TBH I think it's what the halo series should've been. Feels a lot more fun than Halo 3's campaign ever did and everything feels more natural. Maybe it's just me but if it keeps up it may be my favourite Halo game of the series =\

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Welcome to the internet.

Many people react to the over hype of the series by being overly critical.

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Maybe it's just because I never read anything about the game in the first place, and the excitment of having a game a day early :D

14. chocolateraisins

chocolateraisins :D

why can't halo just die.. and make a new game..

its like call of duty now.. in five years time we will have halo 6 with Master Chef Mini-challenges using Natal

15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

CoD should have finished at CoD 2, CoD 3 was a joke and in CoD 4 they introduced that crappy press to stab/win button.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

No-one's forcing you to play it mate, some of us actually do enjoy those franchises.

ODST looks decent, and I rather like the firefight concept

17. jSilverel

jSilverel What's a Dremel?

It's just how people are these days on the internet. If they don't like something they'll tear it to shreds and take a crap all over it so no one else would want to play it either. I've never had a problem with any of the Halo games. They've all been quite fun and the ease of play, setting, characters, and multiplayer experience did it for me.

It is just another game in the setting, originally intended as an expansion, but ultimately got way more content added than they anticipated. They're building a franchise, and while having Master Chief lead the way yet again, I think having different (albeit unnamed and unknown) character does take a stab in a new direction. When you want to build up a setting, leaving it in the hands of a single perspective makes it stale. Bungie has been avoiding this and building out in different directions. No, there's nothing unique and groundbreaking about the gameplay, but really? Is that what a game needs to be good? Is that what it takes to release a retail product? Surely there's dozens of other games that use the exact same mechanics in different configurations. Are they just as poor? I really don't think so. I can pick up any number of FPS games and easily rip them apart, point at everything else on the market and say "They not innovative, they took this from here, here, and here." It's not about the revolutionary gameplay anymore guys. It'll be a rare chance for something revolutionary (as opposed to evolutionary) to hit a FPS game any time soon. You don't need that in every release to be good.

You just need something that hooks into a player, pulls them into the game, and keeps them there. Bungie did this with the first Halo, and has kept it going thus far. If you're not a fan of the series then you probably won't like this one either. Don't be too surprised when you feel it's simply more of the same, when the rest of us are engrossed in what happens next. Creativity doesn't come from the mechanics of a game any less than it does with the story and character development. Lots of people have figured out what a franchise does, I can't believe you're still waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

18. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I guess the point is this: if the gameplay is very similar, if not identical in some cases to previous games, then what is the point of releasing a new game? Why not just play the older game again? The story? Halo doesn't have the most enthralling story anyway. And if you were after a story why not watch a film, or, god forbid, read a book.

19. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Is the score at the end of the review a 1 or a 7?

I actually really like the game.. I can see it being a bit average if you were to play alone, but with 3 friends accross xbox live its epic :D

20. jSilverel

jSilverel What's a Dremel?

Why read reviews on a game that you don't even like?

Tags: Add Tags