1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware HannsG HG221AP 22" widescreen monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Why oh why does this thing have speakers? If they wanna chop features, chop that one, not the DVI port! :(

If this had a DVI port it would be a good one to pair with a triplehead2go... :)

3. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I agree, I've never understood why so many TFT monitors come with built in speakers. Most CRT's didn't back in the day.
    As mentioned in the review, they always sound aweful, so why include them in the first place. A DVI port would have been much more useful.

4. quack

quack Minimodder

Add DVI and remove the speakers and this would be the perfect cheap 22" LCD.

5. Eccles

Eccles What's a Dremel?

For an extra £20 or so you can get the HW223DP model that has DVI.

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I think including speakers on a £100 monitor makes more sense than including them on a £300+ monitor - someone who is spending big money on a monitor is likely to be (a) willing to spend decent money on a separate speaker package so won't need the monitor speakers, or (b) a digital artist who won't be using the speakers anyway. On the other hand, the speakers on this £100 monitor may be cruddy quality for games, movies or music, but they will certainly do fine for the Windows sounds, new e-mail alert sounds, amusing Flash animations etc. that are likely to be playing through the sort of general low budget workhorse home or office computer that is likely to be attached to it. Personally, I have a low-ish end Viewsonic 20" LCD attached to the computer in my home office, and I use the integrated speakers to save power and desktop space, and they are absolutely adequate for the functional needs I have from that machine - e.g. new e-mail ping sound, occasional online seminars etc.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

No Value award then?

8. seveneleven

seveneleven What's a Dremel?

I think that cheap and low quality speakers in LCDs are what cameras are to most of the mobile phones - they've become so inexpensive to produce (because of the high demand) that the marketing people think of them as a added feature to the phone/display.

About the monitor: the review was quite favourable and HannsG definately undercuts the competition on the price front but where I live taxes spoil this kind of product's appeal.

9. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

And in the background, the collective sigh of a million hardware enthusiasts was heard...

I wonder when we'll actually see a good, bright LCD pop up again.

10. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

Still hanging on to my 19" Viewsonic vp191 with MVA panel. Not fond of the TN panels.

11. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

What I miss in these monitor test is gaming performance.
    I know you mentioned response times and ghosting in transitions (in movies, I assum), but these things are often more noticable and crucial in fast games with high a FPS.

Just run CS:S for a few minutes, with high FPS (no vsync), and let us know if you notice any artifacts. :)

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

We played games on the screen and we do on every monitor we test. It's as good as any other TN - essentially lag free and no ghosting. Colours lack a bit of punch compared to a better screen and the blacks aren't great (as mentioned on the final page of the review), which means things like the opening scene in Crysis Warhead will look a bit.... pants... but not so rubbish that you can't play it.

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

110 pounds is 131 euro. now I look at the pricewatch over here and find:

Acer V223HQ 1080P for 135 euro
    LG W2234S-BN for 138 euro
    Viewsonic VA2216W for 139 euro
    LG W2241S-BF for 139 euro

So the reviewed monitor is not extraordinary cheaper then other brands.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

It is in the UK... :)

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

Just a quick update:

We've been speaking to HannsG about the firmware issues and it has told us that this is fixed in the production models. Our sample was apparently from the first batch and that was where they realised there was a problem with the firmware.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

17. quack

quack Minimodder

Wow that's cheap as.

18. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I'll let you guys know on that aria one, I've just ordered one for the better half, She's got used to using my 22 and hates going back to using her little 15 :S Tis nice to see larger amounts of desktop real estate becoming available cheap if you're not too bothered about amazing IQ

19. Austin

Austin Minimodder

20. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Well that aria one is pretty good too. I've not watched a film or done much serious work or gaming on it yet, but the build quality and looks are certainly very good. The bezel is shiny black which does well not to show too many fingerprints and the buttons are positive and easy to hit. The power light is very subtle, and is a ring around the power button, which glows red when no signal and green when there's a signal, however unless you go looking for it you won't see it. The brightness and contrast also seem very good for a budget monitor, although i'll write more once i've done some more serious work on it. All in all, initial impressions and reaction of the better half are very positive, just need to get a dvi cable to get the best out of it now, definitely a worthwhile purchase for someone wanting more desktop real estate on the cheap.