1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice High-end gaming PC - build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alex!, 24 Oct 2010.

1. alex!

alex! Kick-ass:Death ratio 93

Hey guys, payday is swiftly approaching and I'm looking forward to escaping the confines of 15 fps on even the most basic games. The build I have came up with is based around the Premium Player for October's buyer's guide however some parts have been changed.
    I will mainly be using the computer for playing games such as CS:S, Crysis 1 & 2, Metro 2033, Fallout series and L4D2 with the standard fast-paced music in the background that can only be listened to while gaming without looking like a ned. I will also be trying my hand at video editing when the time comes.***EDIT: I will also be using this computer for AutoCAD*** Ofcourse I will be using youtube and google etc etc but even my phone can handle that so I dont think I will have much problem there. My current budget at the moment is hovering around the £1300-£1500 mark with future upgrades in mind.

The Components

CPU: Intel i7 950
    £227.89​
    CPU Cooler: ThermalTake Frio
    £38.75​
    MoBo: Asus P6X58D-E
    £149.91​
    GPU: Gainward HD4870 1GB
    £89.99​
    PSU: 750W Corsair Modular Power Supply
    £107.81​
    RAM: 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz
    £116.47​
    HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    £42.28​
    OD: LG GH22NP20
    £15.97​
    Case: Silverstone Raven RV02 - may change this to the FT02 with red interior
    £140.96​
    Sound Card:Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme
    £35.21​
    £110.53​
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H 24"
    £179.99​
    Mouse: Roccat Kone [+]
    £68.13​
    Keyboard: Logitech G110
    £59.93​
    Wireless: Edimax EW-7612PIn
    £17.24​
    Total
    £1400.97
    I will be overclocking as many components as I can, who wouldn't want free performance? :worried:

Upgrades that will be taking place over the next month or two:

• 128GB SSD drive for the operating system and games
    • A second 1TB harddrive for a raid 1+0 setup for media files
    • I'll be dumping the 4870 and replacing with a single high-end HD6xxx card
    • Some suttle mods to the computer for an aesthetically pleasing look
    • I'll be adding a second 24" monitor...possibly
    • A blu-ray drive perhaps?
    And if there is any money left over, a haircut.:rock:

Let me know what you think of the build and if you know of any improvements wether its to do with price or performance please do let me know! If you have had any experience with any of these products please do share them too!

Thanks all!!!!

Alex

Last edited: 26 Oct 2010
  2. darkcutuan

darkcutuan What's a Dremel?

Sounds like my dream pc tbh. It looks good, many of the components are featured in the performance PC in CustomPC (although im sure youre aware of this).

3. alex!

Yea well the buyers guide is where I originally found all the components and went through the ones I wanted so I'm just looking for general reviews on this setup to get the all clear as it were. Its alot of money to part with XD

4. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Just a question about your upgrade. How do you plan a RAID 1+0 with only two hdd?

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

for gaming PC's, aim to connect up by wired, unless you've got a really strong wifi signal at your desk.

everything else looks good. the point about RAID is true, also, RAM don't come in 3GB per sticks, guess you were meaning to say 3x2GB.

6. alex!

Raid 1+0 is mainly setup using 4 hard drives but only requires a minimum of 2.

7. alex!

Unfortunately I need to use a wireless connection as my house is seriously lacking in areas to plug in the modem. My wireless speed is not the best but I am looking to get a wired connection in the near future. Also thanks for spotting the typo, corrected it :D

8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

the os retail yes?

well then pop down to pcworld and save yourself £15 quid on it, i posted that in the marketplace but you cant see there :(

alex! likes this.
  9. alex!

Thank-you very very much :D there is a pc world not far from my house so I suppose its worth saving a bit of extra cash, I can use it for some speakers.

+ rep

10. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

This build looks awesome. You're gonna pwn all the newbs on prebuilt PCs with GTX 260s once you get it together s( ^ _ o )b

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why not get OEM win 7? Should be cheaper...

12. alex!

Haha thanks, I'm really looking forward to building it over the course of next weekend. My laptop is really struggling to play even the most basic games such as CS:S. Keep an eye out in the project logs where I am hoping to record my first ever build :D

The OEM copy is actually more expensive in the long-run as if I was to change any major parts of the system once it was built I would need to buy another copy. Thus making the slightly pricier retail version the better option. OEM copies are generally for computer builders and/or people cutting back on a budget.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not true, my current PC being a prime example... :thumb:

14. alex!

I've been lead to believe otherwise, So what your saying is if I was to get an OEM copy of Windows 7, install it onto a HDD and then onto a SSD later on, then say I change the graphics cards and RAM it will still work?

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I did it with my old version of XP many times. 7 I'm not so sure of, you'll probably just have to reactivate it.

Edit: My best mate has installed new graphics cards with no issues and not needing to reactivate either.

16. alex!

After some quick research I believe that OEM is ok for installing onto a computer however if I were to change the motherboard or CPU I would need to call up microsoft and lie to them for a reactivation code, correct?

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not quite lie, more modify the truth :p

Teelzebub likes this.
  18. alex!

I'd probably prefer to stick to the retail version IMO, but thanks for your help anyway.
    I'll be sure to show results of the final build!

19. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

£1454.49 High-end gaming PC no sound card?

20. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

On top of the sound card, no one is going to say anything about the choice of a 6870 on a 'high-end' gaming computer? The 6870 is the upgrade to the 5770, which the 5870 still out performs. I wouldn't consider the 5770, or the 6870, to be high-end equipment.