1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ramon Suey, 28 Oct 2012.

1. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

All I can suggest now is to take everything out of the PC and start from scratch. Pull off the cooler, pull out the processor, there is a mark on the processor and the board to ensure that it is put in correctly and re seat the processor. Then put on the intel cooler and test with that. Some mother boards you can flash the bios with a thumb drive and no processor not sure if yours is like that. Check and see if yours is one of them and if so update the bios. Put 1 stick of ram and try the different slots the rotate the sticks after you have tested them all. Pull your PS out of your other computer I know it can be a pain in the ass but try it before you pay someone to look at it. Ensure that you put your MB on the bag it came in. Save that you have something broken either the MB or the processor. I hope this helps.

P.S. ensure you didn't get any TIM on the MB and it is not shorting something out. A little time trouble shooting gives you valuable experience you can use later and we are all here to help you. We will cost a lot less than a PC tech and we actually care.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Just don't power it on while it's on the bag... Antistatic plastic is usually conductive.

3. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I did not know that thanks for the information. So place it on something non conductive like a wooden cutting board.

4. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I've just had this problem I think it's turned out to be my hard drive. Come to switch on it was dead first tried the mains lead, still dead. Took out my graphics card it just started rebooting itself over and over again, then tried the hard drives 1 by 1 and it booted saying I had a bad overclock and reset everything in BIOS. I have a 2500K but I haven't bothered overclocking it yet and a 2 month old OCZ 750W PSU.

You could see if yours is a faulty hard drive.

5. Wira

Wira Spoderman

Had exactly this issue, and it was due to a missing BIOS update (I think). Removing a stick of RAM fixed it for me (I then reinserted it after getting the pc running and updating).

6. Ramon Suey

Ramon Suey What's a Dremel?

I now have a basic system up and posting to BIOS/EFI - I have yet to add the SSD and 3 HDDs and fix up the case headers - tomorrow. To test I installed the i3570K inti the Sniper M3 mATX M/B (second board, first DOA) using the stock cooler without TIM - to save having to clean and reapply when I install my Xigmatek. The temp settled at 50c - so it is clearly OK to test without TIM.