1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU How to wire up modular to many devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harvy, 27 Sep 2012.

1. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Good Morning all,

I have a Hiper type-r 580w modular power supply, which has a 4 pin P4 power cable, 6 pin PCI-E power cable, ATX power and 4 molex connectors.

My system uses/requires
    8 SATA for hard disks,
    2 molex for hard disks,
    1 floppy drive
    2 * 6 pin PCI-E power cables,
    2 molex for fan controllers
    2 SATA for DVD
    1 molex for DVD
    1 4pin P4 power

The PSU only has molex connectors, with adaptors for SATA, and I have another adaptor to make two molex connectors into the second 6 pin PCI-E power.

The disks are stacked above each other (antec p280 case) so I’d like to connect every other drive to the same power of possible.

The instructions for the PSU say to balance the power requirements over all 4

I would like to essentially make my own wiring, removing the molex’s where not needed and to have multiple sata power connectors chained. As well as creating my own y splitter for the graphics pci-e connector, and removing the current daisy chaining of cables to reach one end of the case to the other…

My question is, how should I balance these 18 or so items across 4 outputs from my psu?

DVD1
    DVD2
    DVDM1
    Fan Controller 1
    Fan Controller 2
    FFD
    Graphics
    Graphics
    HD1
    HD2
    HD3
    HD4
    HD5
    HD6
    HD7
    HD8
    HDM1
    HDM2

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

3. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Yep, exactly one of those,

In fact the original one i had was in blue. Went back cos the fan knackered, and they sent me the black one as a replacement. Had it and used it heavily for about 4 years, not had any problems with it!

Can you expand on the "terrible"?

4. mm vr

It was mediocre already back in 2006 when the review was made. Rubbish capacitors, low efficiency and poor power factor. It only provides 360W on the 12V rails, while modern power supplies are expected to provide >90% of their total capacity on 12V -- basically it's designed for Pentium III era systems. Not to mention the lack of connectors.

Personally I wouldn't trust 8 hard drives on one of these.

5. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Thing is the review stated it would get a better score if the connectors were changed/more connectors less adapters, which is exactly what I'm looking to do...

In terms of efficiency , when i got it, it was fairly efficient at the time and within my budget.
    If i was ever striving for efficiency, I'd be changing psu's on a weekly basis as something more efficient comes out...

The PSU has been running my rig, (and more in the past) without any problems, so i guess at present I'll keep with it. When i do start encountering problems i see whats available.

6. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

The problem with these budget PSU's is that they have a tendancy to go bang and take other equipment with them. The power supply is one component of your PC that you really don't want to skimp on.

Also, that PSU has always been inefficient. 360w on the 12v rails is rather poor, especially by todays standards.

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The problem you will experience is most likely a short in the PSU which could take out any number of the connected devices. I would strongly recommend that you change that PSU to something from a reputable brand like Antec, Silverstone or the like.

8. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Ok so any other recommendations? bearing in mind its a full tower case and i dont really want to require the new psu wires to extend if i don't have to...

Requires p4 conenctor, and two PCI-E power connectors.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2012
  9. mm vr

In the end it's up to you -- you can freely enjoy your 70% efficient 360W unit with Fuhjyyu capacitors and no power factor correction. At least until it blows up and takes your hard drives with it, that is.

Protip: Lack of PFC is an alarming sign of a low end unit.

This is why a budged PSU is not recommended. A proper unit will last through several upgrades and easily pays itself back.

10. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Had a look at Bit-tech reviews - looks like the last set were done about a year ago in sep 2011... not sure if still valid or if new ones have come since, but none seem to have been reviewed.
    Given that all three are saying to change, what do you recommend changing to? looking at spending about £100..

11. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Rig is:
    Gigabyte Technology GA-EP45-UD3R
    Intel Q6600 CPU,
    260GTX graphics (PCI-E)
    plus a second GeForce6 6200 (pci)

8 hard disks,
    2 dvd burners
    7 90mm fans
    mcubed bigng and mini

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

No way in hell would I run all that kit off a 6 year old psu.

I am not a major PSU snob but you are asking for trouble with all them drives imo.

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

the Corsair HX 650 or 750 should be fine for that system.

14. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I've got the HX 650 (powering a similar rig to yours) - originally it was an HX 620 but it gave up the ghost and the HX 650 was dispatched, I only had 1 month left of the 5 year warranty as well.

Apparently they are usually really reliable but I can say for sure that their customer service is really good :)

15. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I also had that exact PSU...was great until it went POP and a nice puff of smoke and flame came out of it...so yeah, change it.

I bought a Corsair HX520 YEARS Ago, god knows how long ago but it has lasted..even to my current 2500k/570 setup, moral of the story is buy a decent PSU and it will last.