1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How would I go about....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gre4t_Pur3, 19 Jan 2004.

1. Gre4t_Pur3

Gre4t_Pur3 What's a Dremel?

How would I go about changing the light on my fan.

Lol... I am 13 years old and have a reasonable knowledge of computers, and am just getting into the modding side of things. I don't have a source of income and only get around $90 AUD a month, so it is kinda hard for me to do much. But I really wanna do it! So someone please help me on my journey for an awesome looking case :D

~Gre4t

2. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

I asume you are talking about one of those clear fans well it depends on the fan realy. You will need a soldering iron and a very basic knoledge of soldering under anycase. Most fans I have seen are a ring of conductive tracks around the fan with 3mm leds soldered onto them at different inetvals and the ring is held together with some glue and/or soldered at the ends. It is just a case of looking and noting the orinatation of the led, there will be a flat side on the 'skirt' or ring aorund the led take note of where this is. Take a soldering iron and remove the leds and put the new ones in and solde rinto place. This may/may not help but welcome ot the forums anyway.

3. Gre4t_Pur3

Gre4t_Pur3 What's a Dremel?

I didn't understand a thing you said. I have no knowledge of soldering, and have not got a soldering iron. Is there any other way to do it, or do I have to look into getting a soldering iron?

4. taliban_raider

Wihtout actualy seeing for myself I would almost certainly say you need a soldering iron and ot obtain soldering knowledge. Soldering irons are basicly as expensive or as cheap as you want and you more or less get what you pay for you can find cheap ones with fine tips for as little as $15. As for learing soldering there are hepas of sites put there that can lend a hand jsut google it or get soemone who know how to teach you in person. I hope that helps you.

5. fg0d

fg0d Banned

Hey!

Im also new. Im 12, sorry if that seems young, please dont judge me on age. I have a intermediate knowledge of soldering, and it helps with everything, especially if your going to run leds of a battery, so yes, try to get into soldering. Im quite like yourself, I barely get any money,and never modded. ?But theres cool mods you can do under 30 bucks. So check it out! :thumb:
    *searches emoticon list* :dremel: your going to need a dremel soon enough.
    Oh yea, good luck buddy, if you have any troubles PM me. :thumb:

6. taliban_raider

Well don't bother Pm's do not work here. It does not matter how young you are the younger you start the beter imo.

7. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

It's probably cheaper (than buying a soldering iron, flux) to just buy the coloured fan you want.

8. taliban_raider

Ahh flux is for panzies..... :worried:

Yes it proberly would be cheaper, and is garanteed when you pay retail for leds to cost double as much(I have priced it) but soldering iron are valuble little peices of equiptment.