1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics I don't like SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 2 May 2014.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

His problem is running 2 different clocked cards, as I stated before in his last thread. So it's always best to stick to the same Model/brand when using multiple GPU's and you won't have these issues... :)

If SLI didn't work, then I sure wouldn't be using it! - But as it does work well for me and many other forum members, I'm always going to run multi GPU setups. :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Have to agree with you Simon as I said earlier in the thread mixed cards are a bad idea

PingPong likes this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Something to remember for the future guys. Thanks.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I absolutely love SLI! :D

Although it is one for the tinkerers. My best setup was GTX 460 SLI, such a great deal for performance that surpassed the GTX 480. Progressed to GTX 670 SLI that worked very well and have since moved sideways to GTX 780 Ti because the price was a steal. Tempted to add a second though!

Teelzebub likes this.
  5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Mine has been fine since installing it a few weeks ago and I have different manufacturers with the cards ever so slightly clocked differently.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've had zero SLI issues since I built this rig with 2x 4GB 670s. Am I just lucky?

7. PingPong

PingPong Entrepreneur's bogies

No you just did it right :thumb:

Teelzebub likes this.
  8. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I just removed a 780 classified and installed 2 identical 670s without any issues either. No real performance increase (The 780 is a monster clocker) but its a damn sight cheaper.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think I will see if I can get my hands on a reasonably priced 780Ti and get rid of the different 670. Although I have been playing games with out issue for the last couple of days. In future if I am going to go the SLI route then identical cards will be the way.

10. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

You guys tell me two cheap cards not better 780ti? What about 2x780 then? Because I think about to buy one more card,780 or 780ti.

11. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Id say get another 780 to go in SLI with your one.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I was braced for issues as I'd unwittingly ordered two differing GTX660's. Both over clocked they run really well.

13. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I just remembered I had a 2 x GTX470s in my PC for about a year without issue too. One was a Gainward Good the other was an MSI twin Frozr I ran them both with a 200mhz overclock faultlessly.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I had 480`s in sli - my issue was heat rather than stuttering

edit:

wtb gtx 670 (again)

15. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

There are a couple on the marketplace :)

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I had TRI SLI 480's in mine got toasty at the back of the case but no issue's with the cards at all

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I was always fearful about SLI and, for that reason, I avoided it for many years. I finally took the plunge 6 months ago and bought a second GTX 780 and I can't really say I've had many issues at all.

18. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

Agreed. Just snagged 2 780s.
    Running them in SLI and I'm seeing instances where I'm trying to use shadowplay and my frames drop so much its nearly unplayable. I honestly wish I would have went with a 780ti

19. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

The only down side I have ever had with SLi is the added cost. I built my first ever rig with SLi after being sold on the idea over at the old Custom PC forums.

As the whole custom PC scene was new to me I was regularly testing. All I ever saw was an increase in performance in just about every game I had (strategy games being the exclusion).

At the time the 8800 was the latest card so I was getting more performance than most users. Over the years though I have come to use SLi more as a money saving affair. Now I buy older but still capable cards and get the performance I want a bit cheaper. Having 2 GPU's to hand should one go pop is also another reason I stay with it.

Overall I can not remember having any issues at all running Sli over 3 different builds. As always though it is a personal preference, and also luck comes into it, but I think if anyone does try it they will see the benefit of it.

Will I go SLi on my next new build?.... Most likely will, but if I don't I will definitely buy an SLi ready board.

Cards used where

GTX8800
    GTX260
    GTX560ti

20. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

After me shooting my mouth off about never having an issue. I tried to play Alan wake and found it to woefully under perform I was struggling to maintain 40fps @ 2560x1600 I tried a few different things like messing with settings in Nvidia Inspector and still wasnt getting decent FPS.

I uninstalled then reinstalled the nvidia drivers when i changed cards but i decided to try driver sweeper/display driver uninstaller then install the drivers again.

What a fantastic program! it fixed my issue straight away and Ive yet to see the FPS drop below 70.

Might be worth trying if your having issues.
    Cheers
    Scott