1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News id Software to develop for iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

It's definitely going to be the Half-Life universe that they're porting.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

there's already quake4iphone on cracked iphones.....

make a ported version of Doom :)

but iPhone's graphics isn't very good, some AppStore games even lag, hopefully they optimise it to death

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Link?

I didn't think iD owned the Half-Life IP?

5. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I was merely baiting ~_~ Valve owns the HL intellectual property.. I do wish that some form of HL took form on the iPhone though :) It's been much more intriguing than any Doom or Quake game in terms of story imho.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

"a graphical tour de force".....

Considering it's on a iPhone...

I don't think it'll be anything particularly mind blowing..

7. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Well, you know Carmack and his graphics.. He can't get enough of them. I remember Doom 3 and how it was hailed for its awesome graphics, but yet the gameplay was pretty pants..

8. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i've already seen a video of quake 3 arena running on the iphone, it was controlled by tilt which looks terrible and had no multiplayer, but it has been done

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

id always loved mobiles for some reason, after Romero crashed and burned with Ion Storm, one of the many things he attempted afterwards was setting up a mobile phone games studio.

That probably crashed and burned as well.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

true, but i don't think phones are ready for core games that have story line. i may well be proven wrong as the iphone has a lot of support from big names-like carmack.. but we're only just about ready to accept phones as a viable gaming platform, so tap the casual market first, let the devs realise that the market has huge potential, and then they may pay attention and make that first killer app.

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i think it's carmack's ethos of games for the latest technology. he always pushes new hardware. let's face it, Doom pushed PC sales thru the roof, Doom 3 pushed GPU sales thru the roof. plus, in theory the simpler the device the better chance homebrew guys have of making a game for it. carmack is like the ideological game dev in many ways

12. wyx087

games on phones shouldn't be serious and shouldn't have long storylines. who is going to sit at home play hours long on a phone?

phone games should be short and fun, something to enjoy for 20min on the train, or play around for 10min when bored.

a good example of this is the Tetris or Trism on iPhone. or simply solitaire. don't know anyone tryed Labyrinth, it's amazing to cure bordom (and very effective at introducing frustration)

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I think some sort of RPG/RTS would probably make best use of the interface. An FPS would be horrible!

14. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Is it just me or won't the controls be awful ?

15. mclean007

It's just you who are awful! :D

Sorry, terrible joke. Anyway, no, it isn't just you who thinks that - it was my first thought - how do you play Quake/Doom/[insert FPS of choice] with a touchscreen phone? An RTS on the other hand could be quite awesome!

16. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Complete massacre of the English language in your first sentence thar.

Additionally, FPS' could be controlled using the accelerometer (with appropriate sensitivity adjustment) while shooting could be done by tapping the screen. I think it would be quite funny if a person sat on a rotating chair and swung viciously with iPhone in hand as they tried to turn ingame

17. wyx087

the Quake4iPhone i tryed uses accelorometer, tilt forward to go forward, turn like a steering wheel to turn. awfully difficult to aim.

may be i never get the hang of accelorometers, can't win MotoRacer level 2 either. and Super Monkey ball is too hard for me.

18. mclean007

Says the man who uses the word "thar"? I think you'll find that my sentence was grammatically impeccable. :D
    Hmmmm... maybe. I'll withhold judgement until I see it, but I'm hugely sceptical. I guess you could use tilt control for forwards/backwards (pitch iPhone forwards/backwards); strafe (roll iPhone); and turn (yaw iPhone), but I'd imagine it would be quite unweildy and I don't know if the iPhone's accelerometer is sufficiently precise. You'd also need some kind of on-screen weapon select interface. I'm sure it's doable, but I can't see it being a particularly intuitive or fun way to play an FPS.

Tags: Add Tags