1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If we were to sell modified cases....

Discussion in 'General' started by Koolvin, 7 Nov 2001.

1. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Q. If we sold modified cases like CCM, OCS and Tek....

Would you buy them? Modified by us not re-sold??

Modified and endorsed by BiT

2. RTT

RTT #parp

YES!!!

3. kanes

kanes What's a Dremel?

i would be interested. But i wouldn't buy like the case from you, i would be interested tho, if say i couldn't mod a case panel myself to be able to send it off to you with the instructions to have your l33t skillz do it

4. XpeteX

XpeteX What's a Dremel?

I would most definetly consider it. With all your articles etc showing your ability I know you would make a good job of it.

It would depend on price and the normal stories. Speed, delivery, PR etc.

But I would defintly give you a go, and see what happens.

What kind of 'mods' would you offer? Im only asking because not many places offer the 'wierd' mods.

5. pooface

pooface What's a Dremel?

depends on the price;)

6. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

No

cos guess what
    I can get em from CoolCaseMods

cos we r0x0r
    not that Bit dont...but

7. James[UH]

James[UH] What's a Dremel?

If they are unique - With some scheeeeeeet mods on um - Then yes...

8. gump

gump What's a Dremel?

in principle it is a good idea but i think bit techs niche could be one of a kind cases.. perhaps with an auction system? i myslelf would love a unique case but am a lazy bugger. i would not realy liek to purchase a off the shelf modded case such as ccm but i would consider a unique case that has ahd ime and effort put into it (note: am not saying ccm dont..)

9. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

yeah we do anything you want

not that Bit Wont ;)

10. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

phoenix, show a little gratitude.
    we're not stealing CCM flame, Koolvin was just proposing an idea.

Personally, Yes, I'd buy from BiT anyday :)

11. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

freddy I dont really know what you mean...and I havent said anything nasty about Bit at all :confused:

12. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

I would have before I started visiting your site on almost a daily basis (my isp is c**p and I have problems getting online at home)and got this modding bug. I guess you do have the advantage of a good reputation and a regular visiting clientel. However, you do need to be careful that running a business can take the shine out of your hobby.

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Titch is right ... as soon as it becomes a job some of the joy will go

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would personally also buy from Bit cause CCM and Tek do a few less then satisfactory jobs sometimes...

However,

It would mean that the forums would come under the same rules as some of the other companies and we wouldnt be allowed to go on about Mappers and Matrix Orbital and other modding sites.

Also you have insisted up until now its more fun to mod your own...! And reading your articles - my next case will *probably* be a DIY jobby, unless you can prove to me you're cheaper then CCM n other places (10quid a blow hole and 30 del is a bit steep).

Well.. my 2p anyway :)

EDIT: i also agree with Titch - full time basis is hard going and it looses its fun appeal. Ask yourself what you get kicks out of for doing the site? Modding or innovation?

Also on another note - if you were to go that extra mile and do all your innovative mods (unlike most other moddin companies, CCM are half to 2/3 of the way there) you'd sell a $h!t load.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Nov 2001
  15. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

I'm not talking about a fully blown business just a few cases to cover some of the costs we incur. but then again ;)

16. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Although I'm not sure you should do modding for people, modding is a religion to some people. And selling mods ruins it..

Imagine going to a LAN and people comparing how much they paid for the mods, they have no idea how it was made, just how much it cost.

That'd suck in my opinion.

However, I believe you should stock mod equipment. Little things that people don't know where to go for. Rubber mould, window rubber, face plates for popular cases etc etc

There's not a lot of money in it, in the beginning. But, it might help cover the costs.. and it'd be cheap to run, you would do all of your business on the net.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Setup an auction system. You get *most* of your stuff for free right? (ok you dont have to answer that) but you could auction them off and say give 10% to charity and keep the rest for site maintainance - more people are willing to pay if they think its for charity - proven statistic :)

18. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Personal experience I would say be prepared for a lot of none hardware related work.

Emails
    Invoicing
    Taxes
    Insurance
    Shipping costs
    Disclaimers

It will take more time to administrate then it will to do the work. I should know been doing a similar service for the last couple of years.

You need to hit a niche market, which in mind is well catered for. How about an advice centre something I have toyed with myself. You explain your problems to an expert and then an off the shelf solution is suggested, either by doing the work or forward it on to generate commission, a bit like Quik Fit. You will need the infrastructure for a quick turn around but you sponsor will have that.

That way you can generate revenue stream and so can your sponsors.

Or

Perhaps form a guild of craftsman and make it recognised and any member of that guild can use its mark as sign of their expertise. This is something that I’ve been toying with. It will have the added benefit of support within the guild and product quality. You will be a bigger force within the bigger picture of manufactures and will be taken more seriously for it. Members of the guild will need to be nominated and have been established in the field or a minimum period.

I don’t want to babble on to much but would like to be involved in any discussion on it as I have some expertise in this.

19. Zmaster2k

Zmaster2k You looking at me?

hmm let me think................err yes!!!

wouldnt this cause problems with ccm as they are your sponsor?

20. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Hummm yes but then no I like to do mods myself ;)