1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I'm an Evil Basterd

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 24 Sep 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I presume after speaking with the Xvart leader, you killed him and looted his corpse as well? Yup, definitely evil. :)

I think this kind of emotion is something unexplored in games. Braid did it best of all. The slowly dawning feeling that actually you had no idea what you were doing, or why, culminating in the horrible sinking feeling when you realised you were the bad guy was immense, but it's pretty unique amongst games (although the "Would you kindly...?" twist in Bioshock was sort of similar).

Reminds me a bit of I Am Legend as well, the whole role reversal in the finale made for one of best of Sci-Fi endings (the book that is, not the god-awful take-the-whole-point-of-the-story-and-****-on-it film).

3. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

wow, bit philosophical there :p, you must really love that game.

As to the question, i can't think of an experiance like it, but i'm sure i have (is too early to think about, i havent even had a coffee yet lol), if it comes to me i'll post again :)

4. Xir

Xir Modder

...after my Harkonnen career (Dune), and my NOD career (diverse C&C's), and my Zerg career, and my Nazi career (Battlefield...and so on)...

I do tend to the Basterd side, yes.
    Has it bothered me? No.

The bad guys aren't alwas better, but usually better dressed and more...fun?

Ooooh...we're so politically correct, we've got to write basterd wrong so it doesn't get blotted out with *** :D

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Definitely better dressed. The Artreides' blue cloaks have got nothing on those black military uniforms.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think the biggest realisation that I'm totally evil in games came with Star Wars: Empire At War...

I've never played as a Rebel, I always, immediately, play as the Empire, and proceed to conquer the galaxy and crush the rebels with the utmost ruthlessness. If there are people on the planet where the rebels are, I destroy their homes and then them, preferably with a horde of AT-AT's.

In the space I simply level up until I can buy Star Destroyers then just parade around the map, destroying everything possible.

[edit]Good point about Dune too - I always picked a different side in there, because they were all fairly nasty once you got into it, but extreme prejudice is always exercised.

Another one that springs to mind if the DoW expansions - I always played as the Codex.

Basically I always choose the baddies, don't know why. Maybe we should start a club? The Evil Basterds.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Yup...look at star wars....raggedy bunch of good doers. The only neat style is in the imperial army!
    Don't even get me started on uncombed wookies or ewoks or hardly dry-behind-the-ears-whatever-jarjar's-cruel-joke-of-a-race-is-called. :D

Comb the desert! (oh...but that was spaceballs)

8. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

I realised i was evil in fallout 3.

one of the first missions you can do involves collecting some money from a supposed prostitute who owes drug money - when she asked me for help i shot her and stole the money.

That games make you do some NASTY things lol

9. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

I don't know about being evil per se, but give me the chance to detonate a nuke in a game and you can be damn sure I'm going to do it.

10. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

I allways feel bad about attacking animals in the Tomb Raider series. Why can't the game throw some evil nasty orcs or ninjas at me? I would love to kill them instead. I feel the same way in Age of Conan, I try my best sometimes, to avoid killing animals if I can, I actually say to them: just stay there, you don't want do die today? right? AAArg.

I also did a lot of evil things in Fallout, one of them was a mistake. I accidently took an item or was somewhat enemified with a girl I really didn't want to kill. But surely she had to have a gun, and I didn't have a recent savefile :,( Felt so bad afterwards.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like you're more of a semi-evil person. I would've capped her and taken everything she owned. That, and I executed everything in Tomb Raider I could find.

12. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

For me I think I realized it during C&C, when Cane asked which capital to blow up first. It took me several minutes of indecision before I selected my own Washington D.C..

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Possibly the thing I felt worst for was in Mass Effect when I
    killed Wrex myself, with zero argument
    on my 'bitch' playthrough. He objected for a second, so I just went in and did it.

In Baldur's Gate 2 as well, I always felt really ****ing terrible for telling Keldorn to stay as a Paladin for the order rather than going back to his family when they needed him - I just didn't want to lose him for the party.

14. bpdlr

bpdlr High-frequency bogon emitter

Another superb article Joe.

"That meant that whatever I’d done should supposedly be termed as entertainment " I love it when games overturn this stereotype. Why *should* games just be fun, and not educational or didactic?

Another thing I've found in a lot of games is that the bad side simply loses out on game choices, and tends to be pretty one-dimensional. Why not more complex, conflicted characters? - Horza Gobuchul from Iain M Banks' "Consider Phlebas" comes to mind.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

not really.. look at it more as besting the programmer behind the AI myself

against real people, that's when your real personality shows lol especially in like quake 2- you could pretty much gauge a persons intelligence level when you played them in a duel.. I mean the strategies were so varied in those map levels given the physics- you could literally label someone a dumbass or average.. when you knew them in real life, that was pretty accurate

against AI grind.. I look at it as a rat pedal and don't think twice about it really- but I do look at ways to make it faster, like alot of people.. want to invest the least amount of time to get to your goals in the game

yeah.. well I gotta admit wrex was tough to get rid of given the history of his people- was a really good game =]

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Sep 2009
  16. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I always play all my games trying to be good. I think the only time I got renegade points in Mass Effect was during the DLC, but I still maintain that I did the right thing. Maybe I'm just too nice.

17. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

KOTOR was brilliant for this sort of thing.
    i always made sure i played the game through twice ( i completed it a lot of times) being as good and as evil as possible - the script for some of the evil options was brilliant haha

i think im gunna play mass effect, everyone keeps telling me its brilliant, i just havn't got round to it :)

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i had this happen to me in Fallout 3. Normally, i play goody-two-shoes first, and the evil SOB on the second playthrough. But when the guy in the first village asked me to do the evil thing, i just dropped everything i was planning on doing and went ahead.
    After watching the nuclear explosion 7 or 8 times, it finally dawned on me to ask why the guy wanted the village blown up... i was quite shocked that i had just helped him clean up the view from his balcony.
    :eeek:

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol yeah xtra.. was for that old *******- I blew it up too

20. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

sometimes i enter a game trying to be evil thinking hey i'm normally good i'll be evil this time but i always end up being good

im playing NWN2 atm and given the choice of join the watch / join the bandits i thought am i **** going to join the bandits they want to get money of this poor shop keeper oh and they attacked my party twice already with little provocation

when i played the witcher i did come through very much neutral however as it explained both sides of the argument very well and both sides had there reasons good and bad so i decided to walk away with my friends safe

Tags: Add Tags