1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm an Online Gaming Cheat (Column)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 4 May 2004.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

wonderful work friend, wonderful work indeed :)

I would stake my life on the bet that every person who has played online more than twice has played against some person who is cheating. This reminds me of a time when I was playing StarCraft online, and I pulled a Mutalisk-Zergling rush early in the game. Suddenly, when a player found himself against a small Zergling hoard and a dozen Mutalisks within 11 minutes of the game start, he immediatly accused me of being a hacker. I just found this utterly confusing, and semi-hilarious that he should be that upset over one simple, and easy to pull tactic that defeated him. Unfortunately, it is a sign of the online gaming scene, that those who are suddenly beaten or taken by surprise feal so much paranoia that they must accuse the victors, guilty or not, of cheating. It is so pathetic that people even spend time making and installing these hacks. Why do they have nothing better to do than to make themselves invulnerable through illigitemate code and countless baseless, shallow victories? What sort of inferiority complex is at work in these poor, mentally depraved individuals? I just don't know.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I don't think anyone is condemning people who cheat at one player games. I just said I find it puzzling.. which I do. I also find trainspotting, and postcard collecting quite puzzling also, but each to their own :D

Some people cheat to get past a tricky spot. Personally I wouldn't. It took me 2 years to do Myst!!.. LOL.. now THAT'S value for money :D My comments on one player cheating referred to my mate who finished his £39 purchase in one night. I was just baffled by it, and just made me think, "What an idiot".

However, this ambivilance to online cheating can only be a bad thing, perhaps as bad as the cheating itself. You download a demo.. you're so impressed that you rush out and buy it, and that's when you realise the game is ruined by cheats. Olv: Yes I know you can ignore them and use them as a way of improving your game.. fair enough, but sometimes people cheating actually ruins the gameplay, and the whole strategy/point. I fail to see how it can not take all the enjoyment out of it for some people. The whole point of multi-player gaming is to pit yourself against a human opponent, not an aimbot.

As soon as you know it's not a fair match, and you are never going to win, it all seems so pointless. Spawning in UT2004 to only be recipient of a clean head shot from a guy stood half a mile away, time and time again until you get bored and switch off is not my idea of money well spent. If people complain about this, why should it sicken you? What's wrong with ranting about something that's ruining your enjoyment of a game you just paid for?

If my neighbour's abuse of his TV could in someway prevent me from watching mine as I would like to, I'd have a right to complain - indeed, persue a legal avenue of preventing him. Why should this be any different?

3. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Nice Article and sums up my attitude too. (Have I seen that article elsewhere?)

First, I've never played FPS much - they make me travel sick; Quake II was a 5 minute maximum before I felt so sick, as for Half-Life I couldn;t even watch the intro before needing to lie down. This is not a joke they really do this too me! Some games affect me more than others as well as mechanical factors such as framerates etc.....(but I digress)

Cheating is pointless. If it wasn't age being an issue, it would be ping times or another excuse. I'm approaching the big 4-0 birthday and can honeslty say that if it wasn't for my travel sickness i'd be as addicted to games today as I was a few years ago.

The argument over single/multiplayer games are also interesting but to me, you are still cheating yourself. I too, in singleplayer games, like Eddie-the-Dane have looked at walkthroughs after spending countless hours trying to do a single a thing; but I can only think of one occasion I have actually turned on a cheat to survive - Return To Castle Wolfenstein; I actually got bored of it and cheated to finish it. Completey pointless and proved nothing.

I honestly believe that cheating in multiplayer games should be a bannable offence. If I was runnning a server it would be. People would learn to trust and respect your skills on nothing more than a lie. If you were to be invited into a team and competition at a LAN Party - you'd be discovered and your deceit revealed to all - there is no point except to bathe in the glory of your own ego! Not my kind of fun!

Personally I'll go to the no-cheaters zone and get *ow3ned* ( or what ever the phrase is) - its more fun to die that way :)

Stu
    39.5 years old and still gaming between bouts of travel sickness

4. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

"First, I've never played FPS much - they make me travel sick;"

Yea, I get that too, but oddily enough not with Battlefield?!

5. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

Good article, i think most people agree that online cheaters are the absolute scum of the earth. The developers are partly to blame though, as being an "older gamer" (late 30's) i have seen games gradually be flooded with cheats built in to give "added value" by the developers, ok mainly consoles but this has just served to allow kids to grow up with the idea of cheating.

Yes they all just games, but a lot of people put serious time into them, in most cases more than is healthy for relationships, this puts them up there with sunday league footy or such like (in dedication terms).
    There is a distinct difference between the losers on publics having a laugh and the ones who cheat in matches, these guys should be strung up and have their pc's smashed to bits in front of their poor little inadequate eyes, in my clan if anyone is caught cheating they will be banned, without question, on our server they wont get any warnings they are just gone. It has always marred online gaming, to be honest its the only thing that will kill it.
    Ive played against some awsome people who have my utmost respect for the skill they show and the time they must have put in, the cheaters no matter how hard they try do not impress because they are all false, i just dont see the point.

Just as an aside, dont u just know ur on form when the "kiddies" on servers start calling u a cheat? its about the only time that term is positive :D

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Best decision you ever made. I can relate to this whole column cause i went down the same route, although its a mixed blessing cause im glad i got out of CS although cheaters should be castrated. That and i just cant stand 99% of people who play online games. Ever read PA? They hit the nail on the head there - normal person + FPS online = total dickhead. Its rare not to get a server without the village idiot on it.

7. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

My two cents:

The MP5 is a H&K MP5A5 9X19Parabellum semi-automatic machine gun :rock:

I had to do that.....

Cheers,
    Mike

8. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

want to play a online shooter with a tiny amount of dickheads?
    play RavenShield.its too slow for the CS generation meaning only people with time and effort play.plus punkbuster is included in every patch.

9. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Or play Americas Army (propaganda, but hey...)

Cheers,
    Mike

10. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Cs is hard enough for n e one who's come to the game late (i tried it once last year). !!!

i've only once used a cheat and that was for freelancer after reinstalling it after a while to get money without spending hours trading. still it did take away the comunity feel and spoilt the game for me, i hate cheating and like many people have said b4, ur cheating ur self.

I can understand the guy in the articals reason for doing it but some kids out there do it just to prevoke people which really p***es me off, makes me just want to be able to code some Weapon of Mass Destruction into the game that blows the hell out of them frying the computer along with it¬!!!!! (i wish) :duh:

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Cheating on an online/MP game would NEVER enter my head, whats the point?! So what if you arent top of the rankings, if you enjoy playing it doesn matter where you come...
    It is sometimes hard to tell the difference between someone with hacks and someone who is good at the game, games suck as CS have been about for so long, that its sometimes hard to break into it....
    havent played CS for a while now, and you notice the drop off in aim, accuracy etc, even after only a few weeks..... However would never turn to hacks to regain what performance I ever had in game..... Its a waste and spoils it for others, no-one wants to see 31373_fighter getting 40 frags to no deaths.....

12. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 23 Apr 2016
  13. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

prime example far-cry. played it once without cheats.finished it. now i just mess around with the physics, launching people off high cliffs etc. its bloody hillarious.whereas i'm an avid Raven shield player and i wouldn't dare cheating online. its gladiatorial combat . i don't cheat, i'm not saying i don't have to but to cheat would destroy the gentlemanly honour between players.if you get beat .accept it,go away and practice and try again tomorrow.i don't care if i die,its all part of the fun. if i take somone with me kudos to me.but i don't need to cheat to have a good laugh. all these little 1337kiddies(yes i do know i'm called 1337modderman.i don't need to be reminded.its a joke :thumb: ) just need to bugger off, grow up and burn their PCs and never play online games again.

14. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

To say that multiplayer FPS has gone to the dogs because of Q3A is a little harsh. It and its associated mods are still excellent multiplayer games. I've wasted many, many hours playing Rocket Arena, which is determinedly multiplayer, and seen very few people cheat. If it wasn't Q3A or CounterStrike causing multiplayer cheating, it'd be some other game - StarCraft or something else.

This is so true. This entire facet of gaming has been missing, for me at least, since I finished Half-life. I'm really looking forward to a new set of games that immerse the player. It seems that the guys behind these games are putting a much stronger focus on the content, trying to get back to the days of DOOM and the like, where you regularly scared yourself witless playing at nights with the lights off. Bring it on!!

Incidentally, I've *never* seen cheating at a LAN party. The anonymity granted by a DSL connection brings out the cheats. Put them in the same room as a bunch of large-ish, adrenalined up gamers, and they straighten up pretty quick :)

Oh, and I thought the original article was a good read too :thumb:

Last edited: 6 May 2004
  15. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

What about Unreal Tournament?, that was relased at near the exact same time was it not.

Happens to be one of my favorite games incidentally.

FPS M/P and FPS S/P should simply be treated as seperate genres.

16. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

First off - great article, i like these new column things :thumb:

Even after reading the article, i just dont see the point in cheating, after all all your doing is cheating your self imo. Im not just on about fps either, cheats on stratergy like generals too (my most played online game atm). Not so much hacks, just setting rules and then breaking them. Whats the point in playing, if you have to cheat to win? I've never tried it my self, but theres nothing better than playing a game against a pretty confident player, and kicking their ass :D Would you get the same feeling if you knew that you'd had to install a hack, or cheat to get that win? Wouldn't be the same for me.

Fair enough, i see where cheating scum is coming from, but from my experience most of your online game cheaters are young kids who dont have the patience / skill to become good at a game. Thats just what i think from my experience of cs. With generals its the same, i join a 1 on 1 "No rush / super weapons" so i trust the guy to play by his rules, so i dont prepare for a rush. Then he rushes and i get abuse like "HAHA NOOB, YOU ****ing SUCK LOL!!!" Fair enough, i've lost, but what did he get from that? Nothing imo Could just be me... Personaly i play games cus i enjoy playing, not because i want to win. Im not saying winning isn't a bonus, just i'd rarther have a good game and loose, than a game i didn't enjoy playing and win, it just doesn't do it for me..

Cheating on single players to get past that impossible mission, or just to get some extra cash is completly different from cheating online to get a 'l337 score' or an extra win for your profile

Anyways... Online gaming will continue, and there will always be some script kiddie with a wall hack, or an inexperienced player who sucks with an aimbot. You just have to make a decision, can you put up with it?

I quit playing cs about a year ago, i enjoy a game with my friends, but i cant say im a big fan of it online anymore..

17. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

Escape from Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom2, Duke Nuke'm, Quake, Quake2, Half-Life, CS (beta 3 - 1.0)... I used to play a LOT of FPS'es, and by the time Q2 was big i played 1 on 1 matches with some guys in SIS who won the World Championships (not winning, but managing quite good) and needless to say i totally annihilated all resistance when we were playing CS betas at work.. But then I started trying online play, and my interest for FPS'es just died. (I haven't played CS since the 1.0 came out)
    If I get on a server and know very well that I'm extremely hard to beat, and then get whopped over and over, most of the times before going around a corner, it just gets boring, and I haven't played any fps on public servers since.

Very good article, not only because i agree so much with it, but also very good written :)

18. Chucjy

Chucjy What's a Dremel?

Well Ive bin playing CS for coming on 4 and half years now, and thats anywhere from 2-3 times a week for an hour then every day for an hour going on till if I was on a pc with net access I wud hav my cs & hl + updatescd with me to get playing and I was always playing.

Now over the years of my cs gaming I have seen cheats come and slowly get more harder to spot, Over the years I have admined on a few servers and spoted the ovbious cheaters and they are banned pretty quickly or all the other players shout so much abuse at them they got bored and leave. These kind of cheats do not bother me but the new style opf cheats who can hide the cheating extremely well these are the ones then piss me off.

I have been sat there at the top of the table ( am not trying to gloat) and then Some random guy comes along and within 4 rounds he has not only had a few nice hs and that he got to the top the the table abouve me yet he just looks like a good player like me then, some tell tale sign hits me that his cheating maybe accidently look at some one through a wall, or shoot just as they come round the corner.

Now I know there are servers out there exclusivly for cheaters Ive come across them and Ive played on them and you cant kill anyone but the odd chance you do you do feel kind of happy with yourself you know this gys cheating and he still cant kill you.

Still I see cheating is always going to be part of multiplayer games, I guess its jsut part of life ( I mean games) but I dont think there is gonna be any chance of totaly getting rid of cheaters because as long as there is comeone better at someone else they are going to want to win I guess its human nature.

19. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I have pretty much stopped playing games online now, because of the general crap being thrown around in the community.

Cheating online is something that annoys the crap out of me, it's like carrying a pistol into a sword fight. It is not only annoying to the other party, it is dishonorable, and proves you are a coward.

Now days there are virtual swarms of lamers, tks, cheaters, exploiters, hackers, you name it out there, and the odds are there are going to be at least one or two on the server you're on. It makes the game no fun.

Sad thing is, a lot of people think it's funny! I was on a server where the guy was laming his team mates non stop and having an absolute blast (no pun intended) not realizing that he was ruining the night for over 20 people. He couldn't understand why the admins kept banning him, and he kept coming back for more.

And has anyone noticed the lack of etiquette lately? In my experience it used to be that when you were chatting or adjusting controls, people were nice and waited until you were done to blow you away, but not anymore. Camping, openly laming, these are the 12 year old AOL kiddies that we have been trying to keep off the internet for so long, and it seems they have discovered online gaming :waah:

I would like to extend a hearty "die" to these truly lame morons :thumb:

20. bad

bad What's a Dremel?

Is [myg0t] or whatever a clan? I scrimmed a clan with that tag a couple nights ago and I swear they were hacking but we only lost by 2 rounds still. Have some very iffy shots through some walls and things on a recording. O well.

I play CS a lot. Way way to much actually. For 3 years about and an hour a day. I been CAL-im/m/o and in XGL. I've been through everything. I think people who hack are funny. I used to run a server so I used hacks one time just so I could catch it. I became very good at spotting them but I never complain and it rarely bothers me. It makes me laugh when people have to hack to play. Whether it's because they aren't very good or because they are bored. Usually you’re not good because you hack and don't get any better. If you’re bored try another game or take some time off. Besides... if I can beat hackers it makes me feel that much better.

What really bothers me is when people say someone hacks when they really don't. Like someone joins a server and gets 3 deagle kills in their first round. "OMG hacker" or "Got aimbot" are normal responses. It makes me angry. My favorite list has 23 servers that are public. I have been banned from 21 of them because I was said to hack. That ruins the game for me more then hackers do. That's what I hate. But it’s just my two cents

Tags: Add Tags