1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Intel 510 or 520 series? Which one is more stable, secure and reliable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edde, 9 May 2012.

1. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone.

which the more reliable SSD from intel?

The 510 series with the marvell controller?

Or the 520 series with sandforce controller?

without considering the speed and price, which is the most secure and reliable?
    Some reports on the Internet says that Marvell is much safer and that in no have bugs and blue screens, other reports say that Intel spent a year testing the new model and moved to sadforce. Other story says that the intel moved to SandForce to compete with other manufacturers only about on price and speed only, but the Marvell (even a little slower at writing, it is safer). I'm confused and dizzy with so much information.

So, forget the price and speed. Which is more stable, secure and reliable?

THank you in advance.

Edde

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The 510 is guaranteed to be more stable simply as the 520 *can* have bsod issues on some people's machines...

...but the 520, being a SF, has raise (which allows a whole nand die can fail & your data will remain intact - something no other SSD controller has), & both compresses data & has much better GC which increase the nand longevity significantly with most workloads.

(it's only highly sequential incompressible ones where the non-SFs will approach having a similar overall write amplification to the SFs)

So the actual answer is neither of them or both of them...

...or, if you *have* to buy intel, try a 520 (as there's advantages over the 510) & 'if' you're unlucky & get bsod issues return it for a refund & then buy a 510.

[NB i'm not recommending either SSD - esp as, on the non-SF front, something like the Samsung 830 or Vertex 4 are much better alternatives to the 510...

...& there's been new f/w for all of the SFs since the 520 came out to lower the risk of compatibility issues.]​

3. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Hello PocketDemon, thank you for your reply.

Sorry, m y english is not really good. Are you telling If I decided for Intel, the 510 series is suposed more stable,reliable with less probability of BSOD than the 520 series?

See what scares me. http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/solidstate

All topics about issues is with the 520 series, I didn't found people talking about problems with 510 series.

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

i'll try again...

Not everyone has bsod problems with the 520 - it is only unlucky people.

So there is very little chance of early problems with the 510... (99.99999% it would not be bsod)

...but if you do not have early (bsod) problems with the 520, it is a better drive as it has more advanced technology to improve long term durability.

[Edit]

Using 'Google Translate' to take it into Portuguese (& back into English to check) - as i think you're in Brazil - this 'should' be a reasonable translation -

Vou tentar de novo ...

Nem todo mundo tem problemas bsod com o 520 - é apenas as pessoas azaradas.

Há muito pouca chance de problemas iniciais com o 510 ... (99,99999% não seria bsod)

Mas se você não tem problemas iniciais (bsod) com o 520, este é melhor do que o 510. Ele tem tecnologia mais avançada para melhorar a durabilidade a longo prazo.

Last edited: 10 May 2012
  5. Edde

Edde What's a Dremel?

Thank you, PpocketDemon, Now I understood.

But...If we do not take into account the advanced technology to Improve long term durability, speed and price. Which of the two, 510 and 520 series is ( possibly or proven), so far, the most stable? All I need is stability and not super speed. And if the ssd has a life of 3-4 years, is already very good for me because I'll just use the OS on it.

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

É só no início que o 520 pode ter problemas - se você conseguir BSODs você precisa devolvê-lo para um reembolso.

Se você não tem problemas com o 520 nos primeiros dias / semana 2-3 no máximo, será tão estável quanto o 510 ...

... só com a melhor tecnologia.

(thanks again to Google Translate)

Last edited: 10 May 2012