1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel and Berkeley announce nano-cooling breakthrough

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Cool!

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I see what you did there :p

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Assuming that this will eventually be used to connect the processor to the heat spreader plate, we still need to develop methods for better transfer between the heat spreader and the actual cooler. Otherwise I can only see this being used in sealed units that won't be upgradeable or replaceable.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

What a waste of good carbon nanotubes :(

I want my space elevator and I want it NOW!

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It was a toss up between that and:

WOW
    MUCH NANO
    AMAZE
    VERY MOLUECULE
    SO COOLING
    MANY THERMALS
    WOW

But I like to think I took the high road and avoided the overused meme, preferring simple wordplay.

7. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

This. Basically!

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

As the thermal conductivity of carbon nanotubes exceeds that of diamond or any other natural material it would seem that the continued use of carbon nanotubes to connect the heat spreader to the cooler would be the ideal solution but the distances between processor and heat spreader are probably much smaller than the distances between heat spreader and cooler and I'm not sure if it's possible or financially viable to use carbon nanotubes for that purpose.

If carbon nanotubes could be used between heat spreader and cooler and were super efficient but could only be made using a sealed unit it wouldn't really matter, all though it would be very annoying for us modders who often find it hard to believe that a company spending £000,000's on development can make something better than we can in a shed with after market h/sinks and fans :D

Nanotubes aside, "Molecular Foundry" what a great phrase, I really need a Skyrim mod for a Molecular Foundry maybe the next great incarnation of The Elder Scrolls will have the option for nano technology, I can here the Skyrim Lore perfectionists sharpening their weapons already :worried:

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The big question: how much does the process cost? Intel already switched from solder bonded IHS to a past TIM because it was fractionally cheaper (even though lower performing at higher voltages), so why would they switch to this, even if it performed significantly better, if it cost more?

10. NIHILO

NIHILO The Customer isn't always right!

Such Polite.
    Much courtesy.
    Wow.

11. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Me too, but so long as it doesn't lead to fiery death. :D