1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i9-10940X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Feb 2020.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I think it's funny that people defend this chip for being HEDT instead of a desktop processor. You want to do professional stuff buy a bloody professional setup. But if you use a professional setup for proper work the TCO will be offset by the insane amount of money you rake in by doing said work faster than before. So what's the point of saying "this CPU is HEDT and cheaper than the respective AMD counterpart while being slower in most, faster in a few workloads" while also requiring more expensive cooling probably negating the saving you made by buying a cheaper HEDT setup (CPU, RAM, mainboard) in the first place? It's a niche CPU for specific workloads in a semi-/wannabe-professional environment? That's not an award, that used to be a death sentence for a product.

/rant

I don't want to say BT is biased because I think better of you guys, but this award is ridiculous.

trig likes this.
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You don't need to be in a professional situation to want to run a few add in cards and a few fast NVMe drives, that is pretty much all it takes to make a Ryzen 9 maxxed out with no more expandability, useless and hence these HEDT platforms with more lanes to match future needs are much more useful.

When you consider the fact that all the latest drive tech is in NVMe on PCIe lanes why would you want to slum it with the SATA stuff, it is not like there is a big saving to be had, good X570 boards where they haven't cripled the slot config cost as much as an x299 board or low end trx40 boards.

If I didn't already have x399 and it was a choice between Ryzen 9 and this, I would probably pick up this or more likely the 10920 as I never want to go through that dark lane rubbish I had in the past where you add in a card and loose your SATA ports for example, lame...

Last edited: 12 Feb 2020
  3. trig

trig god's little mistake

exactly...the award was ridiculous...things have changed at bt...was bias too strong? maybe, but i really miss the old guys and that's why i'm not around much anymore...but that's just me. i sneak back here and there...but man...this chip is getting no play. not much that intel is doing lately is, right? for a reason...and bt is giving them a recommended award? meh...but hey, it's already gone down another $80 on this side of the pond since this article came out...

Tags: Add Tags