1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Feb 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

That motherboard is rather.. pathetic. Special considering the pretty high price for it. Makes me think of a phrase: "attrape niggaut" (French) which means it's a like, a trap for er.. un-informed people (different wording could be used but it'd be a bit offensive :p)

3. randosome

randosome Banned

uhh :S there are 3 PCI-E slots, a x16 x8 and x4

so why when you use crossfire does it drop the first slot to x8, when the second slot doesn't get any speed increase
    Did i completely drop the ball or does this seem completely stupid to you too ?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm unsure. The manual says they are x16, x8 and x4 but then change to x8 by x8. Now every 975X board I've ever used is either x16 and x1 OR x8 and x8. I'm only going by what Intel has stated and I have to go on, but my gut feeling would be it's x16 and x1 or x8 and x8.

5. randosome

randosome Banned

that would make sense, but that means that the slots are either x16 x1 x4 or x8 x8 x4 ... (although they will fit x16 x8 and x4 cards, not that it matters as a knife can make them all support x16 cards)

6. Blacklash

Blacklash What's a Dremel?

Disable EIST in the BIOS, save, then kill C1E plus Watchdog in the config jumper position. I am running 3.7 GHz 24/7. If you want to try for max FSB try 1.375 vFSB, 1.7 MCH, Ref Freq 333, and ram freq 667. I can run up to 3.8 on a 266 ref freq and need to shift to 333|667 for 3.9.

3.9 GHz, Highest I've been on 1.6v. Disregard the ram speed I am ref freq 333 and freq 667 here which is 1:1. CPU-z reports it incorrectly.
    [​IMG]

3.8 GHz
    [​IMG]

I've been able to run my memory @ up to DDR2 1000 @ 4-4-4-4 with a 266 ref freq:
    [​IMG]

Currently @ 3.7 GHz:
    [​IMG]

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=172866

My complete specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.70 GHz 1.55v (24/7)
    Mushkin XP2-6400 (4-4-3-4)
    Intel D975XBX2 (i975x)
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
    NEC 20WMGX2-BK
    WD Raptor 74GB HD(x2)
    Pioneer-710B5PK|NEC ND-3550A
    Auzentech HDA X-Plosion|Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0
    FSP FX700-GLN|Antec P180 B
    AC Freezer 7 Pro|Vista Ultimate Edition

Guys over @ Xtremesystems have had this board up to a 470 FSB unmodded with an E6300. That's solid as far as i975x goes.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2007
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hmm nice. Maybe our board just isn't that great, thanks for the overclocking tip off. It still doesn't help the fact that the board we've tested doesn't pass our stress test, although another board with an earlier OEM revision we've got for CPU testing works fine under reasonably high load multitasking. It still doesn't forgive pretty crappy memory timing selection either though.

8. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

wow i thought that it i would consider buying one of these untill i started reading the artile instead of just skimming
    how can they ask such a high price?

9. francois_l

francois_l What's a Dremel?

Hello, I'm looking at possibly changing some of my computers parts soon. Up to now, I believed this motherboard was a great choice. One thing that grabbed my attention was one of last line of the review and I quote:

"Thus there is really very little that this motherboard offers the consumer over what else is available on the market for either performance desktop or entry level workstation. In many cases, competing boards offer more stability, more unique features, or simply cost much less."

I was wondering what other motherboard offer similar performance for alot less. I'm looking at getting an e6600 that I will overclock slightly, not extreme, just to get a little more performance out of it. I also want great stability. I've read good things about the P5B from asus and also about the GA-965P-DS3 from Gigabyte. Please help me make a wise decision on motherboard choice.

Thx you for the help
    Continue the great reviews btw. :D

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Similar performance can be had from any P965 boards. The Asus commando is £140, £10 cheaper and offers LOTS more feature wise. It's also just finished out 24 hour stress test this morning: FarCry is still running, as are BOTH Prime95s and IOmeter. :)

The Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus is around £130 and offers more functionality in a newer southbridge and about the same in the box. The Gigabyte GA965P-DQ6 is up to version 3.3 now, the BIOS is mature and it works great. If you're investing in Vista, Asus has another P5B out: Vista edition with readyboost onboard and slideshow external LCD in the box. The Abit AW9D-MAX also looks better and offers more in the box. When we reivewed it, it had an early BIOS so the performance should be better now.

11. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

That makes me thing you had a bad board. You guys ran that stress test w/ everything stock right? As another poster mentioned, was watchdog/eist off?

I just took back my 2nd Commando for being a loud mouth. Something's making a high pitched whine on the board that I didn't care for. Some folks thought it was one of the reg coils for power to the NB/Dimms, but twisting those didn't help the noise for me. I didn't really care for the lowering of the GPU either as I'm only on a single 8800GTX, I would like the option of going w/ an HR-03 Plus in the future and it wouldn't fit very well w/ an X-Fi in the Com.

I haven't tried any OC on the new BX2 yet, but I'll post back w/ some results.

Cheers,

Jod

PS. C1E can't be turned off, do you guys think there's really any downside to that?

12. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

Intel knows that it is the little details that matter to PC lovers, so making the little flam heatsinks was really neat :D

13. trueplus

trueplus What's a Dremel?

running the bad axe 2 (INTEL D975XBX2) headless

Has anyone run this board headless?

I've got a fedora 9 system that runs fine, but when I remove the video card it doesn't get anywhere. I can't ssh/ping the box -- which i can with video card in. The NIC LED also doesn't show any activity during startup as it normally would when services are started. Nothing appears in the linux logs (/var/log/messages, /var/log/boot), and nothing in the bios log. No error beeps. On most mobos you have to set "halt on errors" to ignore video errors, but this bios doesn't have such a setting.

I've look through a number of forums, but haven't seen anything about a headless configuration. According the manual it should be possible.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    TP.

Tags: Add Tags