1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics iPod HD into Zen Micro

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DarkLord7854, 28 May 2007.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Wasn't too sure where to put this, but it's hacking devices, so I figured it'd go here.

Anyways, my Zen Micro crapped out on me a while ago, and I recently acquired an iPod Mini, and since I dislike apple stuff, I ripped it apart and low and behold, they have the same type of HD in them, except the Zen is made by Seagate and the iPod is by Hitachi.

So I did the transplant no problem, however, now I seem to be having trouble getting the firmware to install on the drive. Mainly because as soon as I power it up, WMP gobbles it up and starts trying to sync with it and therefore I can't access it's Recovery panel to click reload firmware.
    I did manage to get to that, but when I did it, the firmware update on the comp didn't seem to want to recognize the player :S

Any advice? I'd really like to refurbish this little guy without paying a penny

2. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

plug it in and dont use any program to sync it, go to the desktop and right click on my computer/manage/disk manager then format it. should rid the hd of the apple firmware and let you put the zen stuff on

3. DarkLord7854

Thanks for replying,

Sadly WMP instantly takes charge of it, and it doesn't show in Disk Management nor Removable Storage =\

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

try linux? should appear there.

(you ripped apart an apple ipod mini to fix your creative player? i have to question your sanity there. as far as companies go, creative is down there with sony in terms of crapness as a company...)

5. Mr.ME

Mr.ME Minimodder

did the same with my sisters zen micro, i used a normal cf card for cameras
    didnt use the software from creative self.
    you might want to plug the hd in a normal cardreader furst and format it to a fat partition.
    put it back in the zen
    then download the firmware for the zen as an .exe, en run the .exe
    worked for me.

you can download the firmware here
    http://us.creative.com/local/1/firmware/zenmicro/eula.asp

6. DarkLord7854

I actually like Creative better then Apple :p
    My Zen has lasted longer then most of my friend's iPods, I'm just prone to smashing it against things by accident

I shall try that then :thumb:
    Thanks for the replies

7. the fodder

the fodder What's a Dremel?

on the same type of subject. i have a Zen micro that wont hold a charge. so I was thinking of using it as a portable hard drive but the default software wont let me reserve the full size for file storage. Does anyone know of a site/ OS /hack that would let use it as a drag/drop HDD?

8. DarkLord7854

You can change the size of the removable storage directly through the Zen ;)

9. the fodder

right but I cant reserve the entire HDD

10. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

Offcoarse you can but then you won't be able to use the Zen normally cause it needs the software to operate.

Then it just becomes external HDD in a fancy housing :p

11. DarkLord7854

You can reserve up to 4.5Gbs of it as storage (assuming you have the 5Gbs version). Mine could, though you'd be better off buying a Corsair Flash Voyager methinks if you want portable storage :p

12. the fodder

I am trying to recycle dead/dying equipment. like I said it takes for ever to charge and dies really quickly when its not plugged in. I would really love it if I didnt have to install any zen software for windows to see the drive.

13. DarkLord7854

Hmm.. Well, if you'd been here bout 3 months ago, I coulda sent you one of my 3 spare batteries (still in their packaging) :p

14. the fodder

already got a new battery still takes days to charge. just going to get my wife a 100$ photo nano

15. Valo

Valo Minimodder

it's the ipod partitioning that is the problem. It's been reported on various mp3player forums, that when used in ipod, the 30GB ZIF iPod video disk cannot be transplanted to other player anymore - ipod creates one partition in the "beginning of the drive" for firmware (approx 30mb large) and then another partition for user data. It is however possible to use this drive, you need disk plug to ide adapter, plug it into windows, and format is as one partition, fat drive and it should work in any player then. Lack of zif-ide adapter is the reason why ipod video drives cannot be recycled

16. DarkLord7854

17. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

"Ipod mini drive" = Compact Flash Microdrive

You need a CF to IDE adapter.

As for WMP being sucky; Why the hell do you even have it installed? Use something that deosn't suck, like winamp or iTunes.

Anyways, just kill the WMP process(es?). Should solve the sync issue.

18. DarkLord7854

Yea, it keeps rebooting itself, it's annoying. I don't use WMP, I have winamp, but it won't let me remove WMP

19. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

to remove wmp, go to add/remove programs, then add/remove windows components. hopefully that should work

20. DarkLord7854

Yea, says I'm not allowed. lol. I have a mini-HD reader at the bakery, so whenever I go there I think I'll try formatting from there, should work right?