1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Khronos Group releases OpenCL 1.0 specification

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

So a lightweight API that can be run on absolutely everything? That's fantastic :)

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, if the developer doc is only 300 words long, it must be lightweight ;)

Anything that makes writing multicore applications easier has got to be a good thing. Any news on support from Microsoft?

4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Microsoft?! Support an open standard?! HAHAHAHAHAH.. yeah

Anyway, this is great news. Apparently all CUDA-enabled chips with 256MB or more of dedicated memory should run OpenCL too once NVIDIA get the appropriate drivers out. How cool is that, legacy support.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Sadly, MS is conspicuous by its absence from the developer list - I guess, like with OpenGL, MS will push its own proprietary competing technology?

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Well, they do support some open standards, e.g. XML, and they are being pushed by market pressure to increase that support, hence the opening up of the recent MS Office document formats. Still though, I agree it's unlikely here - if they aren't in from the start, I'm sure they'll have a competing technology of their own that they want to promote soon.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Microsoft has DirectX 11 Compute

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

That's what I was worried about - that OpenCL will get pushed to the sidelines, because MS are pushing their alternative standard as part of DirectX.

9. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

+1

They should focus on D3D instead and save developers work with learning another API. Especially because it will not offer anything OpenCL can't do.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

OpenCL, DirectX 11 Compute, C for CUDA and Stream will all be fairly similar from a developers' perspective. They're all an extension of C in simple terms.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

anything that reduces M$ and nVidia grip on the market is good news to hear.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nvidia was one of the big contributors to the project and actually chaired the group responsible for the OpenCL spec.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well ya I know thats just good PR. Im just talking more about an open api versus what they currently offer, ya I know they said they would share but I find that to be a bit sketchy at best.

14. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I don't care about nVidia support, I want ATi support! :worried: C'mon ATi you can do it! :clap: :naughty:

Tags: Add Tags