1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kickstarter boasts of $3 billion crowdfunding milestone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just remember: the Kickstarter project with the most money raised has still yet to be completed after 5 years...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As a personal anecdote, I've backed 31 Kickstarter campaigns (plus a few on other sites.) Of those, I cancelled my pledges after changing my mind to three funded and two unfunded campaigns, received a refund from a campaign which knew it wasn't going to be able to actually build what it had promised, and received complete rewards from 17 with partial rewards from another (music downloads but not yet the physical CDs and LP). Of the remaining, four are scheduled for delivery later this year or early next year, one is overdue since December 2015 and one since September 2015.

Out of everything I've received, I was only really disappointed by one (the Snooperscope Wi-Fi-connected IR camera, which was crap) - though I got that very cheaply as an early bird, so it's not a major loss.

Perhaps I'm just lucky or perhaps I have an eye for projects likely to succeed, but I've never really had a problem - even the ones that are still overdue are allegedly in-progress and will arrive eventually!

4. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

While true, I don't think any of the backers are disappointed with the progress thusfar. The devs are extremely transparent about their work, offering frequent and regular updates, and following through on all of their campaign promises. Honestly, Star Citizen is probably the best example we have of Kickstarter/Early Access done right.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whoa - a lot to keep track of! Glad it's working out!
    Correct, I'm not ;).

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think "any" should probably read "many" :D

7. koaschten

koaschten What's a Dremel?

Anyone else here who backed Znaps?

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Only backed 2 projects and both were successful. It's about picking your fights!

Flintu - was funded and arrived. Was **** though.
    Chime 2 - Funded, delivered, and awesome!

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

According to Kickstarter, I've backed 110 projects (excluding ones that did not reach the goal). Kickstarter reports a mix of currencies and has no friendly user data export, but according to my (mostly up to date) accounts I've put about £3500 into various Kickstarters (plus some more for Indiegogo, Crowdcube, Fig, and the like).
    Of the Kicktstarters, 67 have already delivered, 11 are in the final stages of development (expect to have them within 3-4 months), 26 are mid-development but with regular updates (i.e. not dead), 2 are in development hell but not abandoned (Still solvent and operating, but need outside capital to deliver), and 6 are outright failures. That's a success rate of between 69% and 95% depending on how you count things in active development (nobody would expect something that backed last month to arrive immediately).
    Of the outright failures, that's £150 down the drain. The two 'development hell' projects are some of the largest (as expected when backed, those are the highest risk), STEM and Cyberith at £230 and £600 respectively. Despite the usual whining from the peanut gallery (to whom any delay means "SCAM!! I DEMAND MY MONEY BACK!1!") STEM are making (very slow) progress on the devkits helped along by periodic outside investment, but Cyberith are in the position where they need cash to manufacture a full production run, and they were let down the an investment that evaporated. If they get another investor or their high margin B2B sales continue then delivery may occur in the future, but otherwise probably not.
    By cash then, success rate is somewhere between 96% and 72%.