1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kindle is the top-selling product on Amazon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

hmmz i thought it was a erotic toy....

3. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I would much rather have an actual book. I can see the advantage for students wanting easy and potential cheaper access to text books but thats about it.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

can read other text files... can't read eBooks sold in other formats... all digital content ....must be ... through the store.

Amazon in "crippled unless you pirate" foot-shootathon.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The infrastructure for kindle and coverage of ebooks just isn't good enough to make me switch from old fashioned paper yet.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So, the Kindle costs $250 (plus shipping from the US and most likely import duty too) and each e-book costs around $10-15, which is about the same as a print book.

Call me a Luddite, but I'd rather have a real book. I'll guarantee that five years down the line, I'll still be able to read that book - the format won't have become obsolete, I won't need to hunt down software patches and they never need recharging.

Thanks all the same, but I'll be sticking with real books for the foreseeable future.

7. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

+1 with above comment (but then I also thought that of my sony discman and look at us now?)

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Thanks, but no thanks! I'll stick with my Portege m200 tablet. £175 off eBay - pure tablet goodness. It even runs 7! And games! My purchase of the year :)

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Does this work in Europe?

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yes, but you'll need to order from the US, plus not all books are available outside of the US :sigh:

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This will go the way of foot spas and bread makers. In the cupboard never to be used.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'll stick to paper books, thanks. Can't beat curling up on the sofa on a rainy evening with a good book.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Paper books will be gone in 15 years max.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I think sony version is going to do better as its not limited to only one format so it will have more usefulness to students and the general public

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Bollocks. 150 years maybe. I don't see anyone of this generation or the next replacing books with an electronic device.

There's just no need: unlike music, who needs to carry around 150 digital books with them? People read one book at a time mainly. All you need is the one book. There's just no real benefit to carrying around a $250 computer to read them.

16. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

Totally agree with the above comment. I don't read more than one book at once and I've found that most people are the same way (I only say MOST people because I haven't asked every single person in the world but I'm yet to find anybody that's not like this). I believe the Kindle has a feature for you to look up words you don't know which is mildly useful but if you you're reading something and the context of the sentence is not enough to make you understand what the word means you probably should be reading something else.

17. sear

sear Guest

Why the **** is this stuff popular? It's full of DRM AIDS. "Oh, yeah, that book you were reading? Turns out it only had a two-year license, so you'd better pay up again. The other one you want to go back to but deleted to save space, eh, sorry, you can only copy it five times." This is not a future of media I wish to be a part of.

18. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

WTF IS A BOOK?

19. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

It's like the internet printed out.

I do buy a lot of books but I also like my Sony Reader for it's convenience for things like holidays and travelling long distances.

20. SiG

SiG What's a Dremel?

I bought one for my girlfriend the other week.
    Considering that she will happily demolish a novel in one day and the fact she's now registered with 4 libraries just to ensure availability of her next read, I figured it was somewhat justifiable.

Nevermind the fact that she used her phone to read eBooks in the past and I was concerned as to what that was doing to her eyesight.

Tags: Add Tags