1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Laptop LCD transplant, need ideas! *Update: inverter*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 27 Oct 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View my other projects on my personal site, XodusTech.com

So I have successfully transplanted the LCD from an old Dell Latitude CPi to a toshiba portege 7140ct.

A little background:
    About two years ago I had bought a used toshiba portege 7140ct. One day the lcd got busted in the unit and I did not have the funds to replace it. At the time I then gave it to one of my friends who used it as a carputer. He took the hinges off and flattened the bezel on the top of the base. I have recently been given the unit back. Everything works just fine with it except for the fact it was LCDless. There is no option to really configure this machine as a laptop anymore. So I am looking for Anyones input on what to do with it.

It took several days to get the new lcd going with it. I had to make connection cables and modify a plug to fit on the toshiba board. I also had looked up the datasheets on both the lcd and the LVDS controller on the laptop, but niether were of much help. Finally I got the right configuration of the 8 data wires the lcd uses. The picture is perfect and the lcd is working 100% Once again I apologize for the crummy images. I cannot afford a new camera at this time.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Action shots of the lcd and the laptop booting itself on

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Blurred xp logo, and then the unit all booted up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Showing the connection on both the motherboard and the lcd

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    And some pics of the cable I made to connect the two together

If anyone has any great ideas on what to do with it let me know, I am thinking perhaps a picture frame pc, but Maybe a computer built into a school notebook or who knows :thumb:

Last edited: 26 May 2012
  2. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

:rock: ahhh my old Toshiba... you still owe me 40 bucks for that thing :worried: but like i said dude... i say you should put the lcd in a picture frame. extend the wires... hang just the lcd on the wall... and use it as a desk computer when friends come over so they can stay off your main machine... and now i feel silly for giving it back to you..... >< :hehe: I told you that you would get it going though :D (edit: i see you left my wires for the power extension... did you get it working correctly again?)

3. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Small update, I have canabalized yet another componet for this project. An old CCFL inverter from some no name laptop. I didnt think it even worked but when I volt metered my laptop and it was giving off +5v on some of the primary pins on the inverter plug I figured why not feed that same +5v into the inverter I have. With a couple of guess and checks and a fuse bypass later I had the inverter powering up and lighting up the display. The inverter I was using was designed for +12v and got pretty warm. This inverter barely gets warm and runs off the same power and control of the laptop. This way the laptop can turn the display on and off unlike the previous setup. Also this inverter is less bright but by no means worse off for it. The display is now much clearer and everything is running under the laptop's power.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pictures of the inverter, and the connection to the laptop header

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Some of my wire connections, and another shot of the inverter

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Action shots of the laptop booting up, and of course the required bit-tech homepage

Notice how much clearer these images are of the lcd now that it is down to a tolerable brightness level. I would love to hear any input. Anyone got a bright idea for what to do with this?

Last edited: 26 May 2012
  4. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

freaking sweet, glad to see you got that inverter working... I snapped like 4 of those in half if they didn't work :worried: But awesome job... now i say you just need a picture frame :D