1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Low-light photography gets a boost

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 23 May 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Wouldn't it be great if this could come out with minimal noise increase, would save a fortune on big wide open lenses.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Excellent breakthrough, flashes are such a hit and miss affair as it is, and decent ones are not only bulky but weigh alot as well. Can't wait to see this in action.

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Shweeet. A lot of times a direct flash is the only reasonable option for a spur of the moment picture (that or a really grainy picture) and I dislike the way a direct flash photo looks.

5. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I wonder what lense-makers will think of this? While it certainly helps to push cameras, it's going to destroy glass makers who demand that 4-digit price for that F/2.8 over F/4, since people who buy these lenses probably wouldn't pay such a premium for the extra bulk and the bit of extra bokeh.

6. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

this is really neat.. however, it sucks that i just bought a nice 5 megapixel camera a year ago :-/ ...that's technology for ya

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

No, it doesn't suck for you at all. There is nothing in the original article other than a lot of funky claims.

IF this technology is real, it will be several years before any of us see it in a digital camera. It seems more suited to surveillance than casual digital photography.

Also, I don't think it will destroy prime lenses at all. One of the greatest things a wide aperture gives us is narrow depth of field. Shooting at ISO 3543^5 at a dark wedding might be fun, but you'll still want to open up the aperture to isolate grandma from the busy background.

Even taking all that into consideration, this will not put an end to flashes. Any professional photographer worth his salt is still going to light the scene artificially. Unless ambient light plays a role in the image, there is almost always a flash.

I'll believe it when I see it.

-monkey

8. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

True that large apertures will isolate, but is one stop worth double or triple the price when better noise handling can take care of it? We're not talking about $20 over $10, or even $200 over $1000, an extra stop can be the difference between $5000 and $1500.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

is 50 extra bhp worth the £10k tuning kit?
    is 10 extra fps worth the £100 extra for the 8800Ultra?
    is £1000 worth it for that 1dB more sensitivity in your speakers?

i could go on, but the point is: the high end is there for those people who simply don't need to ask that question.

10. Carbon_Arc

Carbon_Arc What's a Dremel?

But something else to consider..... the big expensive fast lenses are not just for that extra f-stop, they also have better optical properties that the cheaper lenses. They control distortions, aberrations, vignetting, sharpness, etc, better.

That's why i carry a 1.3 kg Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens around on my D80, it may be twice the price of the newer 80-300 f4.5/5.6 VR lens, but in terms of sharpness and image quality its worth every penny. Plus f2.8 at equivalent of 300mm is perfect for things like motorsport photography, using the depth of field to isolate the subject.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, i'm a glass junkie when it comes to lenses, but i know people who swear by smaller, lighter, 'slower' lenses with Vibration Reduction.

This looks more like an innovation for camera phones and the like, where small sensors and high pixel counts mean noise is a real issue. So an inherently more sensitive sensor and less amplification of the signal should be a real boost to image quality.

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I'm not arguing this new sensor will kill any demand. There will always be the nuanced bunch who demand the extra stops - but I'm saying that it would reduce the need for faster, larger, and heavier lenses for many.

12. AndyO

AndyO What's a Dremel?

Gotta agree with this...I know better bokeh may tempt a few people to 2.8s but low light performance is just as big a pull, and probably more of a concern for the bulk of users?

If this new tech is scalable to high resolution sensors and combined with more conventional stuff so the highlights are retained I really do think it would make a serious difference to many an indoor photographers kit bag :)

Regardless, one more incentive to leave the tripod at home can only be a good thing:) When I can get that tack-sharp sunset at F22 and 1/2000 thanks to my uber-nightsight sensor with full dynamic range I'll be a happy camper :jawdrop:

Just hope noone turns a torch on behind the horizon or it'll look like the space shuttle taking off.

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Screw my College Savings Fund....I'm investing in KETI! :thumb: hehe...I'm rich beeotch!

Tags: Add Tags