1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LucasArts closes down

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CrixD, 3 Apr 2013.

1. CrixD

CrixD Teh LoLlandic fool :o

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Wow - didn't think I would ever see that happen. I thought the last few games were a bit tired to be honest, but I always hung on to the forlorn hope that they would re-make X-Wing and Tie-Fighter. I guess Disney could still do that, but I have my doubts about the type of game that Disney would make!!

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

If Disney are licensing the rights out there's still the hope that a studio will take a chance on a XvT/XWA successor. I loved those games.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think the chances of you seeing a sequel to much-loved games just got a boost. Being a licence-only name it opens the floodgates to all kinds of dodgy, poor sequels to further water down the SW brand.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

lol - Mr Grumpy Drawers!

6. Krikkit

Sorry, but that's pretty much how I see it - they've shut down an excellent (if lately a bit off the ball) studio in favour of a licensing out the IP's to others.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Actually I do agree - the whole deal with Lucas was all about IP and not assets. I guess we can look forward to "Simba Vs Vader in 3D the Ultimate Battle"!

8. Krikkit

That would be pretty awesome - a beat'em'up you can play with any girlfriend! (Although mine owns all her own copies of Tekken, so I'm safe)

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I think Disney should acquire a full on games company. One that knows and can make sense of the business. Like Take 2. Or EA. Someone with the ability to make and distribute the wealth of great IP they have.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

[/QUOTE]

#Ahem#

I read that and suffered a seizure, not kidding there, that thought is so horrible you triggered my epilepsy (or maybe it headlights outside).

Given Disney's legendary ruthlessness and EA's attitude to it's customers, EA under Disney would become some kind of rabid attack dog of a publisher. Disney closes studios when their second game doesn't hit sales targets, EA-Disney would probably do it if they missed a milestone by a few hours. Then they'd put a paywall round the announcement and make it only available on Origin...

11. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Shame I loved day of the tentacle. ...

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Get out.

13. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Came across another video today of supposed Star Wars Battlefront 3 workings. I've not played Battlefront 2 but the gameplay in 3 looks fast-paced and fun - let's hope someone finishes it one day.

Vid is about 12 paragraphs down on this page.

14. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I do have a soft spot for some of there 90's games, mainly Sam and Max Hit The Road, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and a couple of the star wars titles but the last few years i've had no real interest in playing their games other than the Lego ones which i find great and i hope they continue. With all the SW games they have put out over the years (i think theres over 40 and thats just since 2000) i can't see them all being big sellers. it is still sad to see developer that helped get me more into pc gaming close.